Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 31.5ozWomen: 25.3oz
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
91 / 100 based on 5 expert reviews
Coming in more than 8 ounces lighter than the Nepal EVO for the pair, the Cube GTX still retains its predecessor’s technicality and jack of all trades prowess.
If you're looking for a high caliber boot that performs well across the board, look no further than the La Sportiva Nepal Cube GTX - Women's.
For me the pro’s far outweigh the cons for the Cube and make this a no-brainer.
Overall they are a fantastic addition to the La Sportiva mountain boot range.
The Cubes fit really well and were comfortable to wear.
- The Nepal Cube GTX is an addition to La Sportiva’s Nepal series. It is warmer, lighter and more durable than the older releases in the said product line. The modifications made a noteworthy reduction in weight and a more refined appearance.
- A spin-off of the Nepal EVO GTX, the Nepal Cube GTX has a 2mm PU midsole and the 4mm Carbon Tech Honeycomb EVA insole. This integration renders support, warmth, and comfort in a lightweight component.
- The La Sportiva team adapted some of the upper features from the Nepal EVO GTX to the Nepal Cube GTX. This includes the 3.2 mm silicone impregnated Perwanger leather, 3D Flex System and the Gore-Tex laminate.
- Making the cleat expedition-ready is its Vibram rubber outsole incorporated with the Impact Brake System. The said technology makes this mountaineering cleat grippy on uneven terrain.
The Nepal Cube GTX caters to men and women. La Sportiva has equipped this cleat with an adjustable tongue which users can alter to get the best fit. Tweaking the tongue’s position and height can greatly affect the volume. It is based on EU sizes and is offered in standard width. It generally runs true to size.
This mountaineering cleat employs a resolable Vibram rubber powered by the Impact Brake System from La Sportiva. The lugs on this outsole are individually inclined which reduces impact by intensifying shock absorption. Similarly, its design renders traction and promises a more efficient braking ability. In the end, areas of articulation experiences reduced fatigue.
The Nepal Cube GTX has a midsole made of 2mm crampon-ready polyurethane. La Sportiva designers paired it with the 4mm-thick Carbon Tech Honeycomb insulated EVA insole. This combination maintains a light, warm and supportive ride. Carbon fibers are known for their beneficial properties including high tensile strength and low thermal expansion. They are also lightweight. With a thinner construction, a mountaineer’s stride becomes more stable with the increased ground contact, with or without crampons.
Manufactured by Perwanger for La Sportiva, the 3.2 mm silicone impregnated leather boasts of a durable and water-resistant semblance. Likewise, the natural framework of this material makes the cleat breathable and resistant to scrapes. This assembly is fortified by the wrap-around air-injected rubber rands that give additional protection against bumps and cuts. Furthermore, it is lined with the waterproof Gore-Tex Insulated Comfort membrane which enhances breathability and prevents heat loss in cold weather conditions.
La Sportiva incorporated their innovative 3D Flex system on the Nepal Cube GTX. It uses a multidirectional hinge on the upper to allow the ankles to move freely without losing stability. This mechanism ensures that the foot has more control on arduous terrain while securing the heel.
This high-cut mountaineering cleat has a removable tongue which aids in enhancing ventilation. In addition, its mesh fabric helps expel humidity. The elastic ankle cuff acts as a mini-gaiter that keeps off the snow.
- The La Sportiva Nepal Cube GTX is resolable. The old, damaged sole can be replaced with a new one.
- The La Sportiva recommends cleaning this mountaineering footgear after every use. Take out the removable footbed to get rid of gravel that got into the cleats as it can damage the lining. Also, do not stuff papers inside the cleat as they can slow down the drying process. Never dry the pair under extreme heat.
- The brand is highly against the use of oil-based treatments on the leather. According to them, it can adversely damage the waterproofing feature and life of the product.