Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
100 / 100 based on 1 expert reviews
[T]he boots are exceptionally comfortable, though they do have a relatively lengthy break-in period.
- A sturdy mountaineering boot designed for forest and post-fire cleanup, the La Sportiva Glacier WLF protects the foot through its leather upper. It has a Dry-Best lining to optimize comfort.
- The brand engineers combined the PU Aircushion midsole and a mountain flex insole. The latter is equipped with a Dacromet-coated half steel shank to make it heat resistant.
- It features a Vibram outsole which allows it to grip on virtually all types of terrain. Its pronounced cleats are self-cleaning to help maintain traction.
The La Sportiva Glacier WLF is a unisex high-cut mountaineering boot. It comes in whole and half sizes. For the ladies, the brand recommends going a size down. This boot is based on European sizing. It has smaller increments than US sizing, creating more options for the wearer. Its lace-up closure renders a customized fit.
The Glacier WLF provides grip on most surfaces through the crampon-ready Vibram Ice-New outsole. The small, upward extension in the toe area protects against accidental bumps. The undercut heel renders braking ability. Its profile also includes widely-spaced, aggressive lugs to facilitate muck removal and create stability on bumpy terrain.
This high-cut boot comes equipped with a polyurethane (PU) Aircushion midsole. It absorbs negative ground impacts and provides durable cushioning. The heel area has a dual-density rubber which maximizes shock absorption upon ground contact.
Atop the midsole is an 8 mm mountain flex insole. It has a 1.5 mm half steel shank which is coated with Dacromet. This water-based coating makes the insole resistant to heat. It also gives stability to users when tackling uneven surfaces.
The upper of the La Sportiva Glacier WLF has an abrasion-resistant 3 mm Idro-Perwanger roughout leather. This Italian-made leather offers breathability and water resistance. It has a Dry-Best lining which wicks away moisture from the inside, promoting comfort.
- This boot is compatible with semi-automatic crampons.
- The rubber sole can withstand heat up to 572 degrees Fahrenheit (300 degrees Celsius) while the glue is resistant up to 159 degrees Fahrenheit (70 degrees Celsius).
- The brand mentions that it’s not intended for frontline firefighting.
- According to La Sportiva, the Glacier WLF is HRO Test and ISO 20344 Certified.