Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
100 / 100 based on 1 expert reviews
[T]he boots are exceptionally comfortable, though they do have a relatively lengthy break-in period.
Updates to La Sportiva Glacier WLF
- A sturdy mountaineering boot designed for forest and post-fire cleanup, the La Sportiva Glacier WLF protects the foot through its leather upper. It has a Dry-Best lining to optimize comfort.
- The brand engineers combined the PU Aircushion midsole and a mountain flex insole. The latter is equipped with a Dacromet-coated half steel shank to make it heat resistant.
- It features a Vibram outsole which allows it to grip on virtually all types of terrain. Its pronounced cleats are self-cleaning to help maintain traction.
La Sportiva Glacier WLF size and fit
The La Sportiva Glacier WLF is a unisex high-cut mountaineering boot. It comes in whole and half sizes. For the ladies, the brand recommends going a size down. This boot is based on European sizing. It has smaller increments than US sizing, creating more options for the wearer. Its lace-up closure renders a customized fit.
The Glacier WLF provides grip on most surfaces through the crampon-ready Vibram Ice-New outsole. The small, upward extension in the toe area protects against accidental bumps. The undercut heel renders braking ability. Its profile also includes widely-spaced, aggressive lugs to facilitate muck removal and create stability on bumpy terrain.
This high-cut boot comes equipped with a polyurethane (PU) Aircushion midsole. It absorbs negative ground impacts and provides durable cushioning. The heel area has a dual-density rubber which maximizes shock absorption upon ground contact.
Atop the midsole is an 8 mm mountain flex insole. It has a 1.5 mm half steel shank which is coated with Dacromet. This water-based coating makes the insole resistant to heat. It also gives stability to users when tackling uneven surfaces.
The upper of the La Sportiva Glacier WLF has an abrasion-resistant 3 mm Idro-Perwanger roughout leather. This Italian-made leather offers breathability and water resistance. It has a Dry-Best lining which wicks away moisture from the inside, promoting comfort.
- This boot is compatible with semi-automatic crampons.
- The rubber sole can withstand heat up to 572 degrees Fahrenheit (300 degrees Celsius) while the glue is resistant up to 159 degrees Fahrenheit (70 degrees Celsius).
- The brand mentions that it’s not intended for frontline firefighting.
- According to La Sportiva, the Glacier WLF is HRO Test and ISO 20344 Certified.