Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
81 / 100 based on 2 expert reviews
While we aren’t super excited about the Boa lacing system, we were impressed with the overall construction of this boot.
If I had to pick just one boot for my winter ice and mixed climbing it would have to be the G5.
Updates to La Sportiva G5
- The La Sportiva G5 is a high-cut boot especially created for mountaineers who prefer climbing with agility. Thanks to the footwear’s high-tenacity nylon upper, users are given a level of lightness which works for their climbing mobility. Shielding wearers from the cold is the G5’s built-in gaiter. This thermal covering is also water repellent.
- The G5 evolved from La Sportiva's Batura 2.0. The latest iteration sheds a weight of about 100 grams.
- The boot’s revolutionary lacing system is designed to be operated with one hand. Custom fit, particularly around the ankle area, is also made possible by the Velcro strap implement. It is a step up from the Batura 2.0's lace closure with an asymmetrically designed and zippered lace cover.
- The midsole provides adequate stability and cushioning, due mainly to its considerable heel thickness and SBR Aircushion technology. Its arch zone is noticeably thin which gives the boot a slender look.
- Traction on icy terrain is brought forth by the Vibram Matterhorn outsole. It aims to prevent slippage and maintain grip with its heavy-duty lugs.
La Sportiva G5 size and fit
The La Sportiva G5 is a technical mountaineering boot designed using the Nepal last which is engineered to accommodate virtually all foot types. It comes in sizes 5 to 16, with half sizes until 13.5. Note that La Sportiva charges extra for sizes 15 and 16. Since this is a unisex footwear, female purchasers are lightly advised to consider getting their pair to go 1 size down from their normal size. It is offered in standard width and fairly runs true to size. Its one-hand lockdown system allows wearers to achieve a personalized fit.
Powering the G5’s outsole is Vibram’s Matterhorn technology. Using the Mont compound as its base material, this rubber sole is made durable and performs well in cold conditions. The high-profile lugs placed strategically around the outsole are infused with La Sportiva’s own Impact Brake System (IBS). This system positions the lugs in such way that the footwear gains a braking power by an average of 20%. IBS also reduces impact forces by about 20%.
The arch zone’s considerable height gives the boot a hook-like heel. This heel brake, which is also engineered with multi-directional lugs, provides stopping power, especially when traversing downward slopes.
The La Sportiva G5 cushions and stabilizes the wearer’s foot in every step with its 9mm midsole. This sturdy rubber layer is made of thermoplastic urethane—a material that enables the midsole to maintain a level of flexibility in freezing temperatures and withstand impact and abrasion. Its extra-thick heel zone also provides protection and shock absorption upon ground contact. Crampon connections are present in the heel and toe zones.
Aside from the SBR Aircushion technology which is part of the midsole’s construction, the 3mm carbon Honeycomb Tech insole also gives wearers underfoot comfort. Also, this stock footbed is designed to aid in the insulation of the footwear’s interior.
A combination of nylon, polyethylene membrane, and insulating felt make the G5’s upper both lightweight and warm. It is also infused with a water-resistant liner which provides a degree of protection against wet elements. Responsible for its secure lockdown is the Boa lacing system. In place of traditional laces, this reel-based closure mechanism makes use of reinforced steel strings which can be operated with one hand, even with gloves on. Tightening the laces mainly requires turning the Boa dial clockwise. Custom ankle fit is achieved with the adjustable Velcro strap.
La Sportiva enhanced the back of the footwear’s heel with the Flex Zone technology. This enhancement contributes to the G5’s overall flexibility and aids wearers while walking on rough terrain.
The boot has a non-removable gaiter primarily made of Stretch Cordura—a patented fabric that is durable and flexible at the same time. It is also lined with a water-repellent membrane which further strengthens the boot’s defenses against water intrusion. Moreover, this external covering has air-injected rubber rands which reinforce the boot’s heel zone and toe box.
- The La Sportiva G5 is compatible with all types of crampons.
- This boot is designed for ice climbing and mountaineering over snow and solid ice. It is not meant for obstacles with water that goes above an inch or two.