For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
- With an understanding of the anatomy of the woman’s foot, Keen has introduced their Terradora collection. This line aims to empower women with a shoe that combines their love for outdoors and everyday adventures.
- Keen equipped the Terradora with a non-marking rubber outsole, featuring 4 mm multi-directional lugs for traction on a range of terrain. The Keen.Protect, a patented technology from the footwear company, is also featured to shield users against accidental bumps.
- Its midsole is a low-density EVA that conforms to the wearer’s foot for optimal cushioning. The footbed of the Terradora is a dual-density PU that delivers comfort. Similarly, Keen mounted an ESS stability shank in the Terradora to provide support while its contoured heel cup adds stability.
- Flexibility and breathability come naturally as this pair has a mesh and synthetic upper. The moisture-wicking lining and the Cleansport NXT help maintain a cool, dry and fresh in-shoe environment. The classic lace-up closure and pull loop on the heel assist in getting a smoother adjustment.
The Terradora is a woman’s hiking shoe from Keen that is offered in standard width and sizes. It fairly runs true to size and has a narrower fit than other Keen shoes. This collection utilizes a woman-specific last which runs narrower on the heel. It can render a glove-like fit with ample protection and comfort in the right areas. The traditional lace-up closure grants a secure fit.
Terradora from Keen has a non-marking rubber outsole with 4 mm multi-directional lugs for traction. Its lugs and tread pattern can provide grip on trails and even surfaces. The lug depths ensure that mud and dirt are not trapped in the outsole, thus preventing slips while tackling wet terrains.
The Keen patented toe protection is also featured in this hiking shoe. It keeps the toe protected when the foot accidentally bumps into obstacles and shields the shoe from abrasions.
To provide cushioning and comfort, Keen used a low-density EVA midsole that conforms anatomically to the wearer’s feet. It can render support and protection, especially when tackling challenging terrains. The dual-density PU footbed, on the other hand, delivers optimal comfort by dissipating shock, thus minimizing impacts on every stride. This footbed also helps sustain the structure and stability of the heel and midfoot.
The ESS stability shank promotes proper gait and walking comfort. Shanks deliver arch support and prevent twisting of the ankles. Inside is a contoured heel lock which provides stability. It comes in handy when overcoming trails.
This pair of hiking shoes is infused with the Cleansport NXT technology which helps maintain its freshness. It works biologically to eliminate odor-causing bacteria. The embedded microbes on the surface of the fabric are activated by sweat. Once activated, these enzymes break down the odor-causing bacteria, thus reducing odor. This process is 100% natural and environmentally friendly.
To give the Terradora a neat, feminine look, Keen fused a mesh and synthetic upper in this pair. This combination renders a lightweight and breathable feel to its users, thus promoting a cool in-shoe environment. Likewise, it has a moisture-wicking lining that allows it to dry quickly.
Terradora's laces are made of synthetic fibers. Its tongue is lined with cushy padding for comfort. The pull tab on the heel is made of a smooth, synthetic material.
- In removing loose dirt from this hiking shoe, Keen recommends brushing it gently with a soft, damp sponge. Treat stains with a gentle cleaner immediately.
- Keen introduced their women-specific collection—the Terradora—in their Spring/Summer 2017 unveiling. It ignited the TrailFIT movement—an outdoor, gym-less fitness program for women. This collection includes low cut, mid cut, waterproof, leather and winter hiking shoe variants. It also has a kid’s version. Keen recently added the Terradora Ethos to the collection for Spring/Summer 2018.