For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
WidthMen: Normal, WideWomen: Normal
- The Rialto II is a versatile hiking companion by Keen designed to help adventurers achieve their trail goals with comfort and protection with as little hindrance as possible. Unlike its predecessor (the original Rialto), this iteration is now built free of any kind of PFCs (perfluorinated compounds)—water-resistant chemicals that become non-degradable pollutants when released into the environment.
- It inherits the first version’s removable footbed. This time around, however, instead of being topped with microfiber, it is covered with microsuede for improved comfort.
- Making a comeback in this new edition is the Cleansport NXT technology. This imbuement uses naturally occurring microbes to proactively fight off stink.
The Keen Rialto II is a fairly true-to-size, multi-sport sandal designed specifically for men. Its sizing options include full and half sizes. It is offered in D – standard width. Wearers can customize its fit with the use of the sandal’s adjustable heel strap and lace-lock bungee system.
The men’s Keen Rialto II is capable of sticking to a variety of outdoor surfaces thanks to its non-marking outsole. Its entirety is made of heavy-duty rubber. Its ability to produce grip in almost every direction comes largely from its low-profile lugs. It promises a secure footing over slopes with its ridged heel and forefoot zones. Protecting the toes is a front bumper called Keen.Protect (also seen in other sandals like the Newport and Newport H2).
With the Rialto II’s sturdy yet comfy midsole, those who choose to don this sandal for hiking can expect to experience the trail with sufficient cushioning and stability. Since it is made of polyurethane (PU), it possesses high abrasion resistance, lasting durability, and lightness. It comes built with Keen.Zorb—a proprietary technology applied to the sandal’s heel for optimal shock mitigation on every landing.
Sitting atop this single-piece stabilizing layer is the hiker’s default insole. This underfoot component is lined with microsuede for added comfort and engineered with a contoured medial zone for extra arch support. It is completely removable, giving users the liberty to replace it with their preferred insert whenever.
This closed-toe hiking sandal from Keen envelops the foot in its protective upper made of LWG-certified premium leather (LWG stands for Leather Working Group). It has a waterproof finish, preventing wet elements from seeping into its straps, thereby keeping its frame as light as possible even in the rain. The soft padding that serves as its liner is quick-drying.
The Rialto II’s closure system is made up of two subcomponents: a stretchy cord and a heel strap. The former comes with a locking mechanism (slider) made of hard plastic, while the latter is engineered with hook-and-loop fasteners.
- The leather used in its upper has the approval of the Leather Working Group—a collective that seeks to improve the industry of leather manufacturing. This means that a pair of Keen Rialto II sandals are environment-friendly when it comes to the use of leather.
- For wearers who prefer open-toe ones, check out Teva products like the Alp sandal and Hurricane XLT2.