DiscontinuedUpdate: Keen Rialto II H2
For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
- The Keen Rialto H2 is designed for outdoor adventures. It has a water-resistant upper which is a combination of synthetic textile and genuine leather.
- The engineers infused this multi-sport sandal with the Cleansport NXT technology. This feature works in conjunction with the breathable upper in keeping the Rialto H2 odor free for as long as possible.
- Stability and shock absorption are prime responsibilities of the sandal’s PU midsole. It is engineered with a metatarsal ridge to double down on underfoot support and improve the user’s overall mobility. It is also imbued with Keen.Zorb Strobel—a technology that adds spring to the wearer’s step and absorbs impact.
- An in-house, non-marking outsole gives hikers traction over various types of terrain. The patterned grooves on its underside are designed to provide a secure footing, especially on underdeveloped and slippery trails.
- The Keen Rialto II H2 replaces this version.
A fairly true-to-size Keen hiking sandal for men is the Rialto H2. It comes in D – standard width. It is offered in a fair number of whole and half sizes. Granting a reassuring lockdown is Keen’s Secure-fit Lace Capture System. It collaboratively works with the adjustable heel strap to grant wearers a kind of fit that matches their preference. According to a retailer, the Rialto H2 has a slightly wider forefoot zone.
Keen’s own rubber outsole is what gives adventurers their much-needed traction. Over mixed terrain and slick surfaces, its tire-like treads and low-profile lugs latch with ample grip. The adequate space between lugs serves as a networked channel through which water escapes, preventing hydroplaning as a result. Perpendicular to the walking direction are ridges on both the forefoot and heel zones. They are slanted and angled slightly to grant wearers extra ascent and descent control. Outside traction, this rubber platform also grants a level of toe protection, thanks to the Keen.Protect technology, marked by the exclamation logo on its front tip.
The Keen Rialto H2 delivers stability and comfort through its sturdy yet cushy PU midsole. PU or polyurethane is a kind of material that allows the midsole to withstand considerable weight without sustaining cracks. It is also highly resilient in that it doesn’t remain flattened or squished.
The front end of the midsole encroaches the upper, giving the sandal a proper toe guard and making it a closed-toe footgear. Its rear end, on the other hand, is made to have borders to hold the removable PU footbed in place. Additionally, the midsole has an amply raised arch zone for extra bounce, especially during transitions.
Thanks to its hydrophobic mesh lining, water-resistant, synthetic upper, and perforated leather overlays, the Keen Rialto H2 wraps lightness and performance in one strappy package. At the toe box zone is a contoured strip of synthetic material that reinforces the forefoot region and gives extra toe protection. At the heel is an easy-access, adjustable strap sealable with hook and loop (Velcro-like) fasteners.
When it comes to firm lockdown, the Rialto H2 sports a speed lacing system (aka Secure-fit Lace Capture System). It features stretchy cords for laces complete with an adjustable locking device. It has lace tunnels for eyelets most of which are part of the sandal’s leather overlays. At the mid-center of the tongue is a stitched-on lace keeper which not only holds both the speed laces and tongue in place, but also bears the confidence-inspiring label: American Built.