Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
95 / 100 based on 1 expert reviews
In conclusion, the Kayland Apex Plus is a rare beast, being lightweight, durable and good value for money.
Updates to Kayland Apex Plus GTX
- Designed for ice and mixed terrain, the Kayland Apex Plus GTX has an integrated anti-snow elastic gaiter, two Gore-Tex lining variants, and Ankle Lock System. Its 360-degree rubber rand adds durability.
- The Smart PU bi-density midsole adapts to various temperatures for comfort and crampon-compatibility. The performance of the boot is enhanced thanks to the EVA footbed and insole board.
- Its outsole is a Vibram Teton which has an aggressive profile to provide surface traction. Its lasted construction makes it resolable (meaning the sole can be replaced).
Kayland Apex Plus GTX size and fit
A mountaineering boot for men, the Kayland Apex Plus GTX fairly runs true to size. It comes in standard width and regular sizes. The brand shaped it using the medium-width Mountain Pro last which offers ample room in the toe box for stability. Fit customization is permitted by its lace-up closure.
The Vibram Teton renders traction on a variety of terrain. The Carrarmato-inspired lugs (another Vibram product) at the center provide multidirectional grip. The heel and toe zones have increased surface contact to assist in uphill and downhill slopes.
The Apex Plus GTX features a Smart PU bi-density midsole which hardens under cold temperatures to accommodate crampons. In warmer conditions, the unit softens and enhances shock absorption. The boot also features an insole board made of glass fiber and aluminum sheet that contributes to the performance of the midsole unit. A TPU insert on the heel adds support.
This product is equipped with a footbed that combines Cocona, EVA and felt. This piece creates a lightweight support and delivers comfort.
The Kayland Apex Plus GTX has microfiber and fabric upper. Its protective integrated gaiter is lined with Gore-Tex Performance Comfort which offers moderate insulation. The shoe’s upper, on the other hand, is lined with Gore-Tex Insulated Comfort which provides optimal heat retention. Both linings promote breathability and waterproofing.
This high-cut mountaineering boot is also equipped with the brand’s Ankle Lock System which wraps the ankle to prevent heel slippage and permit natural movement, simultaneously. It also has a full rubber rand which reinforces and protects the boot from scrapes. Its lacing hardware includes closed loops and open hooks. To facilitate easier foot entry, it has two pull loops at the elastic gaiter.
- The Kayland Apex Plus GTX is compatible with automatic crampons.
- This boot is vegan-friendly.
- The Carrarmato is known as Vibram’s iconic sole. A high level of abrasion resistance and traction across different surfaces are its main selling points, according to the sole manufacturer.