- Categorized as a B/C boot, the Meindl Island MFS Active can take on aggressive terrains thanks to its wealth of features that blend comfort, strength, and support in one package. It gives a sense of impregnable security thanks to its sturdy-looking leather upper and above-the-ankle collar line. Its upper’s layered construction adds to the durability and abrasion protection of the boot. For correct posture and support, the engineers also gave the Island MFS Active integrated pronation and supination zones.
- Gore-Tex’s Performance Comfort liner is infused within the boot’s interior. This technology offers complete water protection and promotes breathability at the same time.
- The boot has an air pumping and moisture drainage system. Airflow and dispersal of moisture take effect when the user does flex maneuvers.
- A mechanism called flexi-hinge is embedded within the upper of the boot. This component found in the heel section allows freedom of movement.
- Cushioning the foot from ground elements and providing grip over challenging terrain is the Meindl Multigrip sole unit by Vibram. This proprietary sole technology unifies the midsole and outsole for a streamlined performance.
The Meindl Island MFS Active is a mid-cut boot that provides a fairly true-to-size fit for male and female backpackers. Both the men and women’s versions of the boot come in whole and half sizes and are offered in standard width. The men’s pair may also be had in 2E – wide. Custom lockdown is made possible by the Island MFS Active’s lacing system. It has 9 pairs of lace holes in total which encourage zonal configurations. The MFS moldable foam lining takes the shape of the wearer’s foot, thereby giving a personalized fit over time.
The Meindl Multigrip by Vibram is the rubber outsole is designed to overcome tricky trails. This Meindl-exclusive outsole has heavy-duty lugs, both of which are rectangular and circular. The rectangular lugs that line the outer edges of the boot aid backpackers during ascents and descents, while the circular protrusion dotting the sole’s midsection provide and sustain grip from virtually every angle.
An integral part of the Meindl Multigrip sole unit, the boot’s midsole offers a combination of underfoot protection, cushioning, and shock absorption. This cushy platform is made of polyurethane—a material characterized by high resiliency and abrasion resistance—making it a nonconformist to weight and pressure and strong against wear and tear. Its tapered construction translates to minimized impact shocks and improved toe-offs.
The Meindl Island MFS Active sports a sil-nubuck leather upper with a stitched-on overlay. It has a 2-cm rubber rand for 360-degree protection against rocks and other ground elements that cause abrasions. Inside this leather upper is a glued-on synthetic mesh which reinforces the boot’s shaft and keeps the entire upper in proper form come rain or shine. The footwear’s all-around water protection and climate comfort are made possible by the Gore-Tex Performance Comfort liner. This waterproofing membrane, which is embedded within the footwear’s bootie, is also windproof.
Finding its way into the boot’s upper is the MFS moldable foam which, by design, adapts to the contours of the wearer’s foot, and thus creates a custom-fit cradle with time and regular use. Meindl engineers also provided the heel section with a carefully sewn flexi-hinge mechanism. It promotes mobility by improving the user’s heel-to-toe transitions.
A secure lockdown is achievable through the boot’s classic lacing system. It has a combination of lace loops and open hooks for eyelets. These loops and hooks are made of a metallic material. They are securely riveted to the eyelet line of the upper. Working in conjunction with this fairly straightforward closure system is the Island MFS Active’s gusseted tongue. This particular tongue has a persistent construction in that its sides are conjoined to the upper, sealing off the interior of the boot from debris and wet elements as a result. It also has a metallic lace keeper located right below the Meindl logo.
- The Meindl Island MFS Active was given the Gold Medal Award at the 2009 European Outdoor Expo by a board of independent experts for having consistent overall quality and being most technically advanced for the past two decades.
- The B/C range of boots by Meindl are built for aggressive hiking situations. They are designed to have adequate tibial support and enough torsional strength (for maneuvers requiring twisting motions). B/C boots also have ample sole stiffness which gives wearers a low-level, off-trail sidling capability.