For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 26.8ozWomen: 22.6oz
WidthMen: Narrow, Normal, WideWomen: Narrow, Normal, Wide
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
94 / 100 based on 4 expert reviews
It might look solid and sturdy but it’s also surprisingly nimble.
Built to last and endure, the Tatra II's look destined to become a firm fixture on the trekking trails for the foreseeable future.
The Tatra Lady II is cut well around the back of the ankle and hugs it well on side-sloping ground.
Hanwag have, in their updated Tatra, balanced comfort, stability and versatility well.
Updates to Hanwag Tatra II GTX
- The Hanwag Tatra II GTX is a mid-cut trekking boot that’s designed to tackle a wide range of outdoor activities. This second-generation model is heavier by about 30 grams than its predecessor. It features a nubuck leather upper with a Gore-Tex lining for water protection.
- The boot’s polyurethane (PU) midsole contains a stiffening shank to provide cushioning, stability and, structure. Its Vibram AW Integral outsole renders traction on virtually all types of terrain.
Hanwag Tatra II GTX size and fit
The Tatra II GTX comes in three width options for male and female trekkers: narrow, standard and wide. It is available in a range of whole and half sizes. Its lace-up closure system permits a secure and personalized fit to the wearer. Its click clamps enable different tensions in two areas. Moreover, the boot fairly runs true to size.
Providing outdoor enthusiasts with surefootedness over challenging terrain is the Tatra II GTX’s Vibram AW Integral outsole. Its profile is filled with an aggressive lug pattern that renders grip on wet and dry surfaces. A heel brake is incorporated into the sole’s design for better control in downhill conditions.
This mid-cut backpacking boot from Hanwag uses a PU midsole to create a cushioned ride. It’s paired with a stiffening shank which adds rigidity and stability. Its default footbed supplies the user with arch support and underfoot comfort.
The Hanwag Tatra II GTX features an upper made of nubuck leather, making it resistant to abrasion and the elements. The upper is lined with a Gore-Tex membrane to prevent water from penetrating the boot while maintaining breathability.
This leather hiker is equipped with protective toe and heel caps for enhanced durability. Its padded collar contains vent holes for comfort and flexibility. The boot’s closure system uses a series of click clamp eyelets and metal hooks which allows a 2-zone lacing setup. Also, a lace hook is positioned on the tongue to hold it in place.
- The Hanwag Tatra II GTX falls under the brand’s B/C category. B/C graded models are suitable for backpacking trips with a heavy pack. Strap-on crampons can also be attached to boots under this classification.
- The gear’s cemented construction allows it to be resoled. This construction method also improves the boot’s resistance to deformation.
- This boot has a version that caters to people with bunions.