7 Best Altra Running Shoes For Women, 60+ Shoes Tested in 2023
Whether you're heading to your favorite local trail, a quick run around the neighborhood, or to the gym, Altra running shoes for women are designed for solid performance, comfort, and for all terrains.
Famously known for its signature Footshape technology, Altra is a great choice for runners who prefer a gender-specific design that features a wide toe box. This means that runners can enjoy a more natural and comfortable stride. This encourages a healthier form when running and keeps you going longer.
We’ve rounded up 50+ of the best women’s Altra running shoes. We put them to the stringiest tests and selected our favorite picks for your browsing convenience. Enjoy exploring our best selections and in-depth reviews.
How we test running shoes
The highlighted models on this list represent the best women’s Altra running shoes for both road and trail. To make the recommendations, we’ve performed tests and gathered feedback from our RunRepeat wear-testers and editors. This is exactly how we approach it:
- We buy all the Altra running shoes with our own money to ensure a 100% honest review.
- We perform mechanical tests inside the RunRepeat shoe lab, where we cut the shoes into pieces and analyze over 30 parameters, from the energy return of the platform and outsole traction to upper durability and midsole construction, among others.
- Our testers clock up 30-50 miles on each model running on paved roads or muddy paths.
- We collate some more data from other experts in the shoe industry, as well as from regular users of Altra running shoes.
To conclude the selection process, we use the CoreScore system to get the overall ratings of all Altra running shoes in the database. Based on the above data, a final score is given on each shoe that ranges from 0-to 100.
Best women's Altra running shoes overall
- Fits true to size
- Excellent all-round grip
- Highly durable
- Great ground feel
- Feels like it makes you run better
- Great pull tab
- Gaiter compatible
- Brilliant lacing
- Roomy toe box
- Fully gusseted tongue
- Stain magnet
- Not enough cushioning for some
What makes it the best overall?
Best Altra trail running shoes for women
- Grippy on wet and dry trails
- Protective muscles
- Comfort is a 10/10
- Toe box welcomes wide feet
- Gives out energy
- Stable ride
- Heel lockdown is terrific!
- Easy on and off
- Durability couldn't be worse
- Annoying lace bites
- It's a splurge
What makes it the best trail?
Best Altra neutral running shoes for women
- Comfortable and premium-feeling upper
- Roomy, unmistakably-Altra fit
- Secure lockdown even for narrow feet
- Smooth and responsive ride
- Good for any distance at an easy pace
- Effective, but not obtrusive, rocker
- Copious amount of padding
- Absorbs impact well
- Cushioning on the firm side, but a toss-up on how firm
- Doesn’t feel like a zero-drop shoe
- Substantial break-in period
- On the heavier side
What makes it the best neutral?
Best Altra stability running shoes for women
- Fits true to size
- Very light for a stability shoe
- Great for wider feet
- Ingenious stability system
- Incredible grip
- More stability in the outsole
- Good cushioning for a zero drop shoe
- Great to have in a rotation
- Good durability
- Consistent flex in all conditions
- Forefoot may be too wide for some
- Getting a good heel lock can be hard
- Orthotics may not fit properly
What makes it the best stability?
Best Altra wide toebox running shoes for women
- Very well-cushioned ride
- Won't let you feel the ground
- Has some bounce to it
- Stable for long miles
- Upper comfort is spot on!
- Holds the foot in place
- Heel hold is brilliant
- Tongue is soft
- Durable build
- Not the widest Altra toebox
- Lacks breathability
What makes it the best wide?
Best value Altra running shoes for women
- Great on roads and trails
- Pliable upper
- Amazing outsole durability
- Comfy padding
- Less bulky than other Altras
- Low stack
- Doubles as a traveling shoe
- Appealing design
- Not for wide feet
- Breaking-in needed
What makes it the best value?
Most popular Altra running shoes for women
- Responsive on faster runs
- Stable on uneven surfaces
- Comfortable for long days
- Form-fitting wrap
- Spacious toe box
- Visually appealing
- Soft and stretchy upper
- A bit slimmer than the average Altra
- Firmer than the Rivera 1