- Aku’s Montera Low GTX is built on the Elica Natural Stride System. This proprietary technology affects the overall construction of the shoe, which includes the last and sole unit, to improve foot rolls and ensure the even distribution of weight over the plantar surface.
- The shoe’s cushioning and stability come from its injected polyurethane (PU) midsole. Its heel zone is extra chunky to absorb shock effectively upon every landing.
- When it comes to terrain grip, this shoe is provided with a Michelin outsole called Pulsar. It is engineered with treads and zonal lugs for loose and soft soil traction.
The Aku Montera Low GTX is a fairly true-to-size, below-the-ankle hiking shoe that caters to both male and female adventurers. Both the men and women’s versions come in standard width and may be had in a number of whole and half sizes. A firm lockdown is achievable with the shoe’s classic closure system. The contoured ankle collar and tongue provide comfort, thanks to their adequately padded interior.
What gives wearers their much-needed traction when tackling unpredictable ground is the Montera Low GTX’s outsole. Created exclusively by Michelin for select Aku footwear, this outsole aims to keep the user’s footing secure by providing multi-directional traction with its self-cleaning, polygonal lugs. The majority of its lug-less surface is laden with treads for added grip. Over at the rear end of the sole are blocky lugs curved horizontally for extra braking power during descents. This end of the outsole is also slightly protruded to cover more ground, thereby increasing the stability offered by the shoe.
The Aku Montera Low GTX has quite the beefy midsole, especially at the heel and arch, for underfoot comfort and ground stability. It is made of polyurethane, a natural substance that makes midsoles durable, abrasion resistant, and resilient. Its tapered design improves overall foot locomotion, while its upper-encroaching front end gives the forefoot zone a low-profile yet sturdy toe bumper.
Snugly nestled on this cushy midsole is the shoe’s Custom Fit footbed. This Aku-exclusive component lends the shoe additional cushioning.
Having a thickness of 1.8 mm, the Montera Low GTX’s suede leather upper provides adequate protection against abrasive elements. Adding to the overall protectiveness of the upper are overlays made of Liba smart PU. Aku engineers also reinforced the toe box with a hardy covering. When it comes to keeping wet elements walled off, wearers have the Gore-Tex Performance Comfort liner to thank. This waterproofing technology is also breathable, allowing moisture to escape systematically from the inside out.
The shoe’s lace-up closure provides a secure lockdown by means of synthetic laces. It has a total of six pairs of eyelets—most of which are plated. The bottom-most lace tunnels, however, are made of a synthetic material.
- The women’s version of this shoe is called Montera Low GTX WS.
- Hikers requiring a bit more upper support may opt for the Montera GTX—the Montera Low GTX’s over-the-ankle brother.