|Weight:||Men: 266g | Women: 218g|
|Heel to toe drop:||Men: 5mm | Women: 5mm|
|Arch type:||High arch|
|Strike Pattern:||Midfoot strike|
|Distance:||Daily running | Long distance | Marathon|
|Heel height:||Men: 31mm | Women: 31mm|
|Forefoot height:||Men: 26mm | Women: 26mm|
|Release date:||Jan 2019|
|Brand:||Hoka One One|
|Type:||Low drop | Maximalist|
|Width:||Narrow, Normal, Wide | Normal, Wide|
|Colorways:||Black, Blue, Green, Grey, Orange, Purple|
|SKUs:||1104094MBMGR, AASN, ABEP, CGFC, DBCB, DBHRR, FGBM, IBMR, MRBI, SWMOC|
Reviews from around the internet
- 95/100 by RunRepeat (3 in-depth reviews)
- 98/100 by Road Trail Run
- 98/100 by Road Trail Run
- 90/100 by Running Northwest
- 88/100 by Ultrarunner Podcast
- 88/100 by Believe in the Run
- 66/100 by OutdoorGearLab
- 99/100 by Road Trail Run
- 86/100 by Andrew Skurka
- 92/100 by BLISTER
- 86/100 by Engearment
- 88/100 by Authentic Asheville
- 84/100 by Go Far Shop
Video reviews and unboxing
- The 5th iteration of the Hoka One One Challenger ATR offers a light design and fast performance on a wide variety of surfaces. A few updates have been made to the new version to give runners smoother and more consistent ride.
- One of the few updates is the new oversized EVA midsole. It provides the signature cushioning of the brand for a more satisfying running experience. It is lightweight and it aims to deliver smooth underfoot protection.
- The CMEVA foam midsole is also new to this version. It aims to provide impact protection and stability to the foot.
- The Hoka One One Challenger 5 ATR uses the same rubber placement used by the previous version but it has a new outsole lug pattern for a reliable grip even on wet running conditions.
- The Challenger ATR model is usually available in standard medium sizing, but the 5th version is the first version that is available in wide sizing.
The Challenger 5 ATR is available in standard sizing and the overall fit is very similar to the older version. The upper mesh hugs the foot comfortably and the wider toe-box allows the foot to splay. The women’s and men’s versions of the Challenger 5 ATR is available in both wide and medium width options.
In the outsole of the Hoka Challenger ATR 5 is the exposed midsole foam for better ground contact. The rest of the outer unit features rubber compound materials that are strategically placed in high-wear areas for durability.
Hoka One One Challenger 5 ATR features a podular design outsole which is meant to provide stability on uneven surfaces. Along with the podular design are the 4mm lugs that provide reliable grip on wet, soft, and hard surfaces.
Unlike the Asics Gel Venture 6, the Hoka One One Challenger 5 ATR has a maximalist design. It gives maximum cushioning to a wide range of runners.
The shoe features an oversized EVA midsole foam which is designed to provide reliable underfoot cushioning. It delivers the notable Hoka One One cushioning without adding too much weight to the overall design of the shoe.
Along with the oversized EVA is the Compression Molder EVA foam or CMEVA foam. The primary purpose of the midsole foam is to absorb landing impact and provide the foot stability while running.
The Challenger ATR 5 is also equipped with an Early Stage Meta-Rocker Geometry. The rocker shape of the platform aims to provide runners a smoother transition through the gait cycle. This element is also present in the older version of the ATR 5.
The upper of the Hoka One One Challenger 5 ATR uses a dual-mesh material. The same material is used in the older version, but the upper of the new Challenger ATR has been modified to give it a fresher look. The dual-mesh aims to deliver breathability, support, and durability.
A textured TPU toe reinforcement is also visible. It is designed to give added toe protection against sharp trail elements. It also offers durability to the upper unit.
The running shoe also features an internal heel counter. It holds the foot securely while running and it also offers support on all terrains.
The overlays in the midfoot of the Hoka One One Challenger 5 ATR provides midfoot security and further enhances overall foot lockdown.