For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
Updates to Ecco Aspina Low GTX
- Ecco’s desire to deliver a lightweight and flexible footgear led them to improve their 2001 invention called the Receptor technology. The designers eventually came up with the Receptor Lite which works under the same concept, just with a slimmer shank.
- With this technology, the midsole and outsole are being treated as a unit which follows a system that impacts walking motion for enhanced stability and comfort. It works together with the hiker’s foot and offers a comfy level of flexibility. It is characterized by a rounded heel for a 20-degree angle heel strike, midfoot shank for stability and dual flex grooves for increased energy return. These are crucial in giving the stride an efficient start and push-off.
- The distinctiveness and uniqueness of yak nubuck leather led Ecco to use it for Aspina Low GTX’s upper. Likewise, this material is strong and durable. It is lined with a Gore-Tex membrane for waterproof performance.
- This light day hiker has a PU foam-injected midsole which is shock absorbent. The Strobel construction allows flexibility and a snugger fit.
Ecco Aspina Low GTX size and fit
Ecco Aspina Low GTX caters to the female populace. It is offered in standard width. Potential buyers can choose from different sizes. The shoe fairly runs true to size. Its customizable lace-up closure helps in fit adjustment and allows a snug accommodation of the foot.
The Aspina Low GTX renders traction with its grippy rubber outsole. It is further powered by the proprietary Receptor Lite technology from Ecco. The rounded heel guides the foot to a 20-degree heel strike angle upon ground contact. It makes the initial part of the step more efficient that leads to a smoother transition.
Additionally, the dual flex channels are activated in the push-off phase. It imitates the flex pattern of the foot, thus promoting a more natural flexion, thereby reducing the energy required. The reduction in energy consumption renders additional strength for a more efficient push-off.
The Strobel construction of the Ecco Aspina Low GTX midsole accounts for a flexible movement and snug fit. Ecco uses polyurethane (PU) to make the shoe lightweight. The component also provides a good amount of shock absorption. PU is identified to be a pliant material. The PU foam-injected midsole conforms to the foot and provides firm support and stability.
As part of the Receptor Lite technology, the anatomically designed midfoot shank allows the foot to move naturally. It stabilizes the foot while assisting in a smooth transition from heel strike to toe-off.
Ecco made the Aspina Low GTX durable and agile with its yak nubuck leather upper. This material has a distinctive and rugged look that is tough, breathable and resistant to abrasions. Its closed fine grains and compact woven collagen fiber enable it to be cut thinner thus, reducing the footgear’s weight. It has enough elasticity to return to its original form after being stretched.
With the waterproof Gore-Tex Extended Comfort, this pair of day hiking shoes is able to handle warm conditions and active lifestyle. Its non-insulated construction renders breathability and comfort. This membrane ensures that water stays on the outside while moisture inside vents out. The footgear has a padded tongue and collar which renders comfort while the heel pull loop makes adjustments easier.
- Ecco highly encourages online buyers to be particular with counterfeit sites. They have an extensive list of identified Ecco counterfeit sites under their Counterfeit FAQs section