What is it for? This pair of lace-up walking shoes is a cross between a hiking shoe and a walking shoe. It can be used on hard surfaces like concrete floors without resulting in foot discomfort, as well as on rocky or mudded trails without any troubles.
Who is it for? The Asics Gel Odyssey WR is for men and women looking for a walking shoe that:
- is waterproof;
- can handle walking on trails and paved surfaces;
- has replaceable insoles.
Grip and durability. The bottom of the Asics Gel Odyssey is lined with AHAR+. This rubber compound has been engineered to be more durable than typical rubber used on shoes. It also provides excellent traction on various types of surfaces.
Smooth transitions. The outsole features flex grooves at the forefoot, which aids in natural foot movements while walking. At the heel, Walking Bevel is engraved on it. It describes the sloping edge, which makes heel landings softer and transition to midstance much smoother.
The midsole employs several technologies that keep the foot comfortable while also holding it steady while walking.
- SpEVA. This full-length foam serves in two ways, it absorbs shock and enhances the overall rebound of the midsole. It is also quite durable compared to other foam cushioning units.
- Gel. Under the heel, Asics placed its proprietary Gel technology. This unit delivers an adaptable cushioning element.
- Ortholite X-40 Sockliner. This insole amplifies shock attenuation and bounciness. It has moisture-wicking properties and is also breathable for temperature control. On top of that, it is removable, allowing wearers to use custom orthotics if they wish to.
- DUOMAX. This layer consists of dual-density foam. The more rigid portion is placed under the arch, serving as a medial post that prevents excessive in-rolling of the foot.
- Trusstic System. This element reinforces the middle section of the sole unit. It prevents it from twisting too much as that could lead to foot discomfort or even injury.
Coverage. The top is made from a synthetic material that mimics suede. The interior uses a waterproof Walotex lining. This fabric aims to keep the foot dry by not letting moisture in, while also allowing the foot chamber to be ventilated.
Fit and Lockdown. A lacing system is placed on the midfoot of the Asics Gel Odyssey WR. It permits fit customization by loosening or tightening the shoestrings.
Adding to the snug fit is the use of memory foam in the back panel. It delivers what Asics calls PHF or Personalized Heel Fit. The memory foam contours to the back of the wearer’s foot, allowing it to accommodate various heel volumes.