For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 31.5ozWomen: 27oz
WidthMen: Normal, WideWomen: Normal, Wide
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
92 / 100 based on 12 expert reviews
I don't have any complaints about these boots. I've loved them. You've heard me talk about 'em time and time again and once you get them broken in, they are awesome.
After having these boots for this long, I would definitely buy another pair of these boots. They're awesome.
It's been about three years. Almost three years since I've purchased these boots and I gotta tell you. I am still loving them.
I've been very pleased with them.
- The longstanding Mountain Light II from Danner is a legendary pair of backpacking boots equipped with technologies made to deliver. It is designed using the 650 last which gives an out-of-the-box snug fit.
- The Kletterlift sole from Vibram, a product from the outsole manufacturer’s Carrarmato line, supplies the boot with underfoot grip and traction. The specifications of the sole ensure that it works across a range of ground conditions without compromising uphill and downhill performance.
- Danner’s Airthotic works in conjunction with the EVA midsole. It also helps maintain breathability inside the boots through its perforated pattern. A lightweight and flexible fiberglass shank is added for more support.
- The retro one-piece, full-grain leather assembly of the upper helps keep out debris and water. The Gore-Tex liner balances waterproofness and breathability while offering moderate insulation.
Danner crafted this backpacking footgear using the 650 last which grants a snug fit. It runs narrower due to its slender contour. Thus, the brand recommends getting a wide (EE) size for those with a wider foot. Likewise, this last is designed for those with a low-volume foot. According to the brand, boots built on their 650 last tend to be snug out of the box. They noted that it stretches with wear for about 3 to 5%.
Danner Mountain Light II is equipped with the durable Vibram Kletterlift outsole—a thinner variation from the sole manufacturer’s Carrarmato line. It has a large contact area for optimal grip on rocks. Its self-cleaning, multi-directional lugs render sensitivity across a range of ground conditions. The angled lugs on the heel and the toe work by minimizing the effort required in commencing and completing a stride, hence promoting grip and brake. The clover-like lugs on the center of the sole enhances traction.
The midsole of the Danner Mountain Light II is made of EVA. It is partnered with the half-length, molded PU Danner Airthotic which supports the arch of the foot. Also, it cups the heel for proper alignment. The perforations on this footbed enhance air circulation for optimal comfort.
With a fiberglass shank , this backpacking boot offers a lightweight yet supportive ride. Its flexibility allows the foot to move naturally and conveniently, thus minimizing foot fatigue on long hikes.
The Danner Mountain Light II is fully waterproof, thanks to a one-piece, full-grain leather construction of the upper. It is also lined with the breathable and waterproof Gore-Tex Extended Comfort membrane which is non-insulated, thereby allowing maximum expulsion of heat from the inside for comfort.
- The Mountain Light II boot is assembled with a stitchdown construction which allows it to be recrafted—adding more years to the boot’s lifetime.
- When purchasing Danner boots, the brand website has a size advice option. Users need to input their gender, size, foot type, arch type and the brand of the shoe they currently wear. Afterward, the site recommends the size.
- Daniel Craig used the Danner Mountain Light II boots in the movie Spectre, a 2015 James Bond film.
- The brand lists the following tips to prolong the life of Danner boots:
- Clean the boots after every use using a wet rag, sponge or soft brush. Apply cleaning gel sparingly to remove grimes and oil. Rinse off excess with tap water and let it air dry. A boot dryer can be used to expedite drying. However, it is strongly advised not to use a hair dryer or open flame as it can critically damage the leather.
- In waterproofing the boots, Danner recommends an application of their waterproofing gel especially if the boots took on excess water. It makes the boot heavy and it can create water spots between the leather and the Gore-Tex lining. Once the boots are clean, the gel can be applied using a clean rag. Allow it to dry and wipe away the excess. Do not use waterproofing gel on nubuck, suede or rough-out leather boots. Instead, use Danner’s waterproofing spray to help maintain its original texture.
- Danner offers a boot dressing to assist in breaking-in and maintaining the color of the leather. Likewise, it helps extend the life of the boots. The dressing can be applied to clean, dry boots using a soft cloth and allow it to dry overnight. Reapplication is preferable once the leather appears scuffed, dry or losing its color.