For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 30.5ozWomen: 30.5oz
WidthMen: Narrow, Normal, WideWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
90 / 100 based on 1 expert reviews
[W]e can easily envision these boots being around for at least a decade.
Updates to Danner Light II
- The second edition of the Danner Light is a leather hiking footwear that is supportive as it is comfortable. Its upper is a fusion of stitched nubuck or full-grain leather and 1000-denier nylon fabric. The waterproofness of the boot is powered by Gore-Tex.
- The designers used a 650 last type for this boot as opposed to the previous edition’s 650 EE. This specific last makes the footwear’s interior narrower by default.
- This hiker now comes with Danner Airthotic which is the Light II’s removable footbed. It is a stiff, half-length insole that provides arch support and cups the heel.
- The boot’s extra-thick EVA midsole lessens shock upon ground contact and provides stability during maneuvers. Traction on various terrain types, on the other hand, is provided by the Vibram Kletterlift outsole.
Danner Light II size and fit
The Danner Light II for men is offered in narrow, medium and wide widths. The women’s version only comes in medium width. This boot is sold in standard lengths for men and women. The shoe fairly runs true to size. A secure fit is achieved through the lace-up closure. The amount of lace coverage of this closure system gives the wearer a personalized lockdown, especially if enough pressure is applied to the upper laces. The boot is constructed with the 650 last which makes its overall profile narrow. Danner recommends wearers with wide feet to get the footwear in EE - wide.
Vibram’s Kletterlift outsole is what gives the Danner Light II its traction on both wet and dry surfaces. This proprietary rubber outsole is made of Vibram’s Megagrip compound which is characterized by durability and adaptability. Its heel zone is specifically engineered to absorb shock upon landing.
The boot’s primary lugs are tire-like and strategically placed along the borders of the outsole. This lug placement allows the Light II to bite into various surface types and conditions from practically every direction.
This boot is made using Danner’s stitchdown construction, which allows recrafting. The recrafting process involves reworking the leather, restitching the seams and replacing the boot’s outsole.
This mid-cut hiker gives wearers comfort and stability, thanks primarily to its EVA midsole. A midsole made of EVA, or ethylene-vinyl acetate, is not just cushy, it’s flexible and durable as well. The extra arch support is made possible by the embedded fiberglass shank—a supportive, non-metal component that is both lightweight and flexible.
The removable, stiff footbed cradles the wearer’s heel and supports the arch. The raised arch can maintain its form over time. It is also perforated, which promotes breathability.
The Danner Light II is a 6-inch day hiking footwear with a nubuck or full-grain leather upper. The ankle coverage is made of 1000-denier nylon which is lightweight and contributes to the boot’s overall breathability.
Helping the leather upper keep the wearer’s feet dry is the waterproofing membrane by Gore-Tex. This piece of waterproofing technology is also breathable and windproof.
The boot’s lacing system secures the foot all the way to the ankle cuff. It consists of a combination of plated eyelets and riveted, metallic speed hooks.
- Boots made using stitchdown construction, just like the Light II, can be recrafted by Danner. The shoe can undergo this service if the welt base has no cracks, the flex point has no deep cracks, the eyestay has no holes, and the sole has plenty of welt.
- For potential buyers searching for other hiking boot alternatives from the same maker, see Danner 435 or Danner Mountain 600.