For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WidthMen: StandardWomen: Standard, Wide
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
Updates to Columbia Terrebonne Shoe
- Columbia created a low-profile hiking shoe that’s designed for rugged and unpredictable terrain. They partnered with Vibram to produce an outsole using the Mont compound which was tried and tested at the world’s highest peaks.
- Techlite, a proprietary midsole technology from Columbia, delivers support on each stride. It renders cushioning and energy return without the bulk. A stock insole with perforations promotes breathability and comfort.
- The Columbia Terrebonne Shoe upper is made of synthetic leather with waterproof seam-sealed construction. It is also lined with breathable fabric to prevent inconveniences brought by moisture build up.
Columbia Terrebonne Shoe size and fit
A low-top hiking shoe for the male outdoor enthusiasts, the Columbia Terrebonne Shoe comes in half and full sizes. It fairly runs true to size and is offered in D - standard width. The shoe has the typical lace-up closure to let users adjust the fit.
The shoe’s Vibram outsole is created using the Mont compound. This rigid component promises durability and maximum support. The chevron lugs at the rear and forefoot assist in descents and ascents while space in between treads facilitates the removal of muck.
The Columbia-patented Techlite midsole provides all-day comfort and cushioning to hikers. The energy it absorbs during the stride is recoverable as it expands back to its original form on push off. This energy return makes the step more efficient and less difficult. This lightweight and shock absorbent technology renders a dynamic, responsive and enjoyable ride.
The Terrebonne Shoe comes with a removable footbed . It features perforations which promote airflow around the foot. It helps keep the foot dry and fresh even under strenuous tasks.
The Terrebonne Shoe uses synthetic leather for its upper. This material is known for its durability and water resistance. It can withstand fluctuating weather and the abuses that happen during hikes.
The upper is crafted with a waterproof, seam-sealed construction. It is also lined with a breathable fabric to enhance walking comfort.
This low-cut hiking shoe uses a traditional lace-up closure backed up by a pull tab at the rear and front for easier adjustment. Comfort is amplified as its tongue and collar are padded.
- In caring for hiking shoes from Columbia, the brand recommends the following:
- Clean the shoe after every use. Leaving it dirty can cause early degradation of the footgear. Rinse it under clean tap water and use a soft bristled brush in removing dirt. It is also advisable to remove the insole and air dry them separately. Do not dry the shoe with a heater or under direct sunlight.
- Most stains are removed using mild dishwashing detergent and a soft bristled brush. However, stubborn stains can be removed using denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol. Moisten the cloth with either solution. Then test an inconspicuous side of the boot and dry. Observe for any discoloration. If none, rub the stain with the cloth but do not drench the fabric.
- If water does not bead up on the surface of the boots, that can be an indication that a reapplication of a waterproof coating is necessary. Always check with the manufacturer their recommended product before applying treatments. This process is executed after cleaning and drying the shoes.