For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
WeightMen: 17ozWomen: 11oz
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
100 / 100 based on 1 expert reviews
This sandal is a comfort-oriented revamp of the original Chaco. We are fond of the upgrades.
Updates to Chaco Mega Z/Cloud
- The Mega Z/Cloud comes back with new strap designs. Its wide yet soft webbing enables flexibility and comfort on and off the trails.
- Featuring the durable Chaco Cloud cushioning and podiatrist-certified Luvseat footbed, it grants arch support and promises a “pillow-like” comfort. In contact with the ground is an outsole made of ChacoGrip rubber compound which is optimized to grip on wet surfaces.
Chaco Mega Z/Cloud size and fit
The Chaco Mega Z/Cloud is a hiking sandal for men and women. It comes in medium width and is offered in whole sizes only. The adjustable heel riser and polyester webbing allow hikers to customize the fit.
The Mega Z/Cloud uses the brand’s very own ChacoGrip rubber compound for the outsole. This non-marking material allows it to be worn indoors and outdoors. Its 3.5 mm lugs aim to provide traction on ground surfaces, whether wet or dry. The unit comes with a gender-specific design.
This hiking sandal features the proprietary Luvseat footbed which provides arch support. It is paired with Chaco Cloud, a cushioning component made of durable dual-density polyurethane (PU) to grant long-lasting comfort. Antimicrobial treatment is added to maintain an odor-free and fresh environment.
This open-toe multi-sport sandal secures the foot in place through its high-tensile polyester jacquard webbing upper. The men’s and women’s sandal strap thickness is 35 mm and 28 mm, respectively. Both versions use a metal ladder lock buckle to keep it fastened.
- In 2018, Chaco collaborated with Topo Designs using the Mega Z/Cloud silhouette. The project features a bright-colored geometric pattern on the straps. A soft-touch ladder lock buckle replaces the metal ladder lock buckle in this limited edition sandal. Both male and female versions come in Topo Box Black design, with women’s coming in Topo Box White color too.
- This multi-sport sandal is vegan-friendly.
- After using the sandal in the beach or muddy environments, the brand recommends “flossing” the strap. This method helps remove dirt—an element that stimulates the development of odor if left unattended. It can be done by squirting a fabric conditioner on the slots then pulling the strap back and forth. Or, it can also be soaked overnight in one part water and one part unscented fabric conditioner before gently tugging the webbing back and forth.