Shoes made for 100m - 400m sprints. They are usually lightweight and with either stiff or flexible spike plate. See sprint shoes
Designed for 800m - 1500m distance. These shoes usually have small forefoot spike plate and small cushioned heel. See Mid distance track shoes
Track shoes for long distance have fewer spikes but with full length cushioning for protection and support. See Long distance track shoes
Slightly flexible track shoes with enough padding and heel support. See hurdling track shoes
These are stiff track shoes with minimal cushioning. They usually have 6 to 10 spikes. See track shoes for relays
These shoes offer right amount of padding in the heel to protect the foot when landing. See Long jump shoes
These shoes have spikes placed in the forefoot and rearfoot. They usually have strap for lockdown and midfoot support. See high jump shoes
Shoes for triple jump events have different heel and have more cushioning than long jump shoes to reduce heel bruises. See shoes for triple jump events
They are very similar to long jump and triple jump shoes. They are moderately padded and stiff. See Pole vault shoes
Discus throwing shoes have round, smooth outsole. They are sometimes labeled as rotational or hammer/discus. See discus throwing shoes
These shoes have slightly textured outsole and wide, flat heel. They are flexible with ample ankle and midfoot support. See Shot put throwing shoes
Also known as Javelin boots, these shoes are heavier than other throwing shoes. They also comes in either low, mid or high top cuts. See Javelin shoes
Hammer throwing shoes have round and smooth outsole. They offer ample amount of support for the ankle, achilles, and midfoot. See Hammer throwing shoes
Steeplechase shoes have a mesh upper and are water-resistant to protect the feet while running across water.
Includes sprints, mid distance, long distance, hurdles and relays. Track shoes for running events are either stiff or flexible with minimal to moderate level of cushioning. See track shoes for running events
This event inclused long jump, high jump, triple jump and pole vault. Jumping shoes have full length midsole for comfort, support and stability. See Jumping shoes
Throwing events include javelin, hammer, discus and shot put. Throwing shoes are flexibile with wide and flat outsole. See throwing shoes
Track spikes with an upper material that prevents water from entering the shoe
Track spikes with an upper material that offers minimum protection from water. These shoes are relatively more breathable compared to waterproof ones.
- Spike Size
This is the most common size of pyramid spikes, and are best used in running events on indoor surfaces, such as rubber or asphalt.
This spike size is usually for dirt and grass surfaces; they are longer and, thus, sink deeper.
Usually found in track spikes that are used for jumping events. This spike size works best on asphalt or other synthetic surfaces.
This is the common spike size for track shoes used in javelin.
Used in track shoes for javelin.
It is the hardest surface to run on. The best shoes for asphalt surfaces have rubber outsole with flexible spike plate. See track and field shoes for asphalt
Best to use track shoes with needle or pyramid spikes, common spike length is not more than 1/4 in. See track shoes for dirt surfaces
These are indoor tracks with carpet-like surfaces. Shoes with smaller or needle spikes are ideal for wood surfaces.
It is used for softer tracks. Shoes with pyramid, tartan, and Christmas tree spikes are ideal for this surface. See track shoes for rubber surfaces
Also called turf. It provides nice cushion for running but can be slippery on rainy days. Pyramid spikes are best for this surface. See track shoes for grass
It is a rubberized artificial surface thats is durable and water-resistant. See >all-weather track shoes
Most temporary indoor tracks are wood with a carpet-like surface. Use 3/16 needle or smaller spikes, if they allow any at all. See track shoes for indoors
- Spike Type
Classic spike designed for dirt, rubber, hard and grass surfaces; they usually have a lenght of 1/4 in. See Shoes with pyramid spikes
Needle spikes are best for all-weather tracks. They are also called as "slim" because they are slimmer than pyramid spikes. See Track shoes with needle spikes
They are also called as compression spikes and are ideal for softer tracks. See Shoes with Christmas tree spikes
These are meant for rubber tracks. The spikes have cylindrical shaft and a pointy top.
They have no spikes and are ideal for indoor use. See track shoes with blank spikes
The conventional closure system for many athletic shoes; lace-up track spikes make use of shoelaces threaded through a series of eyelets and are knotted to secure the foot.
Hook and loop
Track shoes that utilize a hook-and-loop strapping method in the upper the secure the foot.
Track spikes that can be easily worn or taken off without the use of a closure system.
As the world’s number one athletic footwear brand, Nike has several long-distance shoes that are renowned for their top-notch and exquisite features. As a matter of fact, because of such features, many elite-level athletes patronize the brand’s athletic shoes.
In this article, we will take a look at the different technologies and components that are integral to the reputable performance of the Nike long-distance track shoes. We will also delve into the various elements of these shoes that help deliver reliable and powerful performance.
Technologies found in Nike long-distance spikes
Nike is known for producing highly innovative products, and the brand’s long-range spikes are no exception. Below are some of the most notable features integrated into the outsole, midsole, and upper construction of several Nike long-distance track shoes:
- Pebax® plate. Common among many track and field spikes, including jumping and throwing spikes, the Pebax® plate is recognized for keeping a good rigidity-to-weight ratio. Rigidity is a fundamental element in allowing a propulsive ride. That is why Nike long-distance spikes are equipped with this spike plate to boost the speed of the athlete. Moreover, this spike plate is also very durable—this element resists natural wear and tear and hazardous track elements.
- Sharkskin. A component that is essential in resisting heel-strike trauma, sharkskin, is supplemented to many of Nike’s long-distance shoes. It features a pattern that is slip-resistant and is very crucial in maintaining an excellent surface grip.
- Phylon. It is a midsole material that is found in many of Nike’s long-distance spikes, including the Zoom Victory Elite 2. It consists of EVA foam pellets that are expanded with heat then later cooled into a mold. The phylon midsole is responsible for the responsive cushioning of the Nike long-distance track shoes and supplements their excellent rebound properties.
- Cushlon. Almost similar to phylon, the Cushlon provides a soft, resilient cushioning to many Nike long-distance spikes. The only difference between Cushlon and phylon is the amount of rubber compound they both contain; Cushlon has more. An example of a Nike long-distance shoe that utilizes Cushlon is the Nike Zoom D.
- Flymesh. An upper technology from Nike itself, the Flymesh is like a second-skin that wraps around the foot, providing optimal comfort. Moreover, this material is highly durable and employs different ventilation zones to keep a fresh, healthy foot environment. The very same reason why Nike uses this technology in several of its long-distance spikes.
Elements of Nike long-distance spikes
- Speed is a very critical factor in yielding the best performance in long-distance running events. Traction, meanwhile, is an integral part of ensuring a swift performance as it helps in the runner’s momentum build-up. It is also especially helpful in maintaining stability during sudden direction shifts. Hence, Nike long-distance shoes are fashioned with several traction-producing materials to generate unrivaled speed.
- It is a must in the competition of track and field to secure a tight-fitting pair of shoes. The same principle has been kept in mind by the makers of Nike long-distance shoes. These spikes are engineered to fit snugly and securely around the foot to prevent any slippage and premature removal. However, you also have to note that these Nike long-distance spikes should not fit too tight that they constrict your blood flow.
- Another vital element that plays an active role in delivering fast performance is the lightweight construction of the shoe. With a light shoe, the runner will not have to exert so much effort. Thus, not only does a light shoe enhance the runner’s speed, but it also helps him/her last in the competition. The same configuration is integrated into all of Nike’s long-distance shoes.
- A stable running experience is ideal for all runners. That is why Nike has developed several long-distance track spikes that are loaded with supportive features to deliver stability. Such an element is very pivotal for an injury-free running experience.
Frequently asked questions
What spike pins go best with my Nike long-distance spikes?
The choice of spike pins can vary from the type of surface that the competition will be held on. For Nike long-distance spikes, they are usually engineered to yield optimal traction on rubber tracks. Thus, pyramid spikes might be the best option. These spike pins are intended for optimal grip and traction on rubber surfaces.
Are Nike long-distance spikes expensive?
Not all Nike long-distance shoes are expensive. Some of them retail at price points that are below $100, automatically placing them in the category of cheap long-distance shoes. Even though belonging to a lower price range, these Nike long-distance shoes are still functional and well-equipped.
Where can I purchase a pair of Nike long-distance spikes?
You can either visit a Nike physical store or order online. The brand has its own website where you can purchase its long-distance shoes. You can also visit several different online retailers and compare prices and product specifications. Here at Run Repeat, we have simplified these for you, and we can immediately direct you to several retailers of your choice.