Good to know
Shoes sharing the same inspiration, history, materials, or technologies are routinely assembled under one compilation for the convenience of those who may wish to categorize or label their own collection as such. The classic collections like the Adidas Originals, Air Max 1, Air Force 1, new balance classic sneakers, and the Classic Leather head the pack of frequently asked about collections.
Extremely popular sneakers because of their price range, versatility when it comes to style, and freedom of movement. Almost everyone is guaranteed to have low-top sneakers in their shoe rotation.
Mid-top sneakers extend toward the ankle for a little more support and hold. These lie somewhere in the middle between low-top and high-top sneakers in terms of usage and popularity.
Sneakers with collars that go above the ankles for optimal hold and support are some of the most sought-after models in lifestyle shoes. Most of these shoes take their roots from basketball and have easily or fashionably crossed to mainstream wear.
Good to know
Regardless of cut, it's always good to start with sneakers that can be worn for the daily grind, also called as "beaters" by some, as these are usually cheaper, easy to clean, and still gives that lifestyle "edge" before going for those wallet-thinning models.
- Inspired from
Sneakers dominantly take their heritage from running, basketball, skate, tennis, training, hiking, and football. Still retaining a few of their performance-based technologies, these sneakers have transcended their respective niches and have successfully and popularly transformed themselves as staples of fashion footwear.
Sneakers designed for a laidback, "cool" vibe that is built for lifestyle wear right from the get-go.
Good to know
Brands are now blending elements of performance and casual appeal in basically every sneaker. One can hardly go wrong with a sports-inspired sneaker or a simple casual shoe.
BreathableAlthough breathability is subjective, it is safe to say that shoes that are mainly made of mesh or has perfortations are particularly superb in providing optimum ventilation. Breathable shoes are sought after as they help prevent users from developing blisters or having a slipper feet. Sneakers with good ventilation also enable sneaker fans from using their shoes sockless without fear of having a smelly feet. See *breathable sneakers*
Orthotic-friendlyFit is highly personal and a shoe that is Orthotic-friendly raises this feature to a different level. Sneakers with removable insoles allow the user to be more comfortable and also give a more "customized" support based on usage. Across all brands, Orthotic-friendly shoes are found at an affordable price and in stylish designs. See *orthotic-friendly sneakers*
VeganVegan sneakers are generally produced using methods and materials that do not involve experimentation on animals, which make them technically cruelty-free. Ideally, all sections of a vegan sneaker – from its upper down to its sole composition, including the ingredients used in the assembly of the shoe, such as adhesives -- are free of any traces of animal parts and animal by-products. See *vegan sneakers*
WaterproofStyle never goes out even during the rainy season. Sneakers made of waterproof material is quickly becoming a must-have, particularly for people on the go. Waterproof sneakers prevent water from seeping into the shoe and help keep the foot warm and dry.
ReflectiveSneakers with reflective materials are now sought by many. Although shoes of this type are not as important as those used for running, these kind of sneakers are also needed by sneaker fans for safety, particularly while going out at night.
LeatherLeather is considered by some as an upgrade over canvas. This is the kind of material that gives sneakers more durability, protection, and sophistication. Many of the most popular leather shoes are variations of the original models that were previously made of mesh or canvas. See *leather sneakers*
CanvasThe material that is originally designed for sneakers. Back then, canvas was sought after as it was durable, flexible, and extremely lightweight. Today, sneakers made of canvas are wide-ranging as they are normally affordable with plenty of options where style and versatility go. See *canvas sneakers*
SuedeSuede kicks are covered with a fibrous version of animal leather giving its users shoes with a softer and more luxurious finish. These footwear provide more durability but considered disadvantageous as it attracts water and dirt easily. Suede sneakers are typically worn during Spring and Winter as many found this modish while providing warmth for the chilly days. See *suede sneakers*
MeshThe most common of all materials used in sneakers or shoes of all kinds. Whether it's a performance shoe or a lifestyle shoe, mesh is a most coveted material. It is durable, breathable, and is one of the reasons why a shoe is reasonably-priced.
KnitAt the forefront of technological innovation is knit. It offers breathability, sophistication, durability, and lightness that is not found in other materials. It is arguably the best material found in the upper of a sneaker.
Rubber SoleThe tried and tested outsole material of practically all shoes. It brings a nice mix of cushioning, durability, and impact protection.
Vulc SoleThe skaters' bestfriend is known for its flexible and soft nature for better board feel. Sneakers with vulcanized sole are ideal for skating for just a casual walk around town.
Gum SoleAlso known as crepe soles, gum soles are sought by sneaker fans for their hot or edgy look while bringing in a ton of grip on slippery conditions. It is also more durable than regular rubber soles.
Cup SoleCup soles are basically the regular rubber variety but with more height on the side walls that allow the rubber to "cup" the upper part of the shoe. The design offers better support during movement.
Good to know
A masterful team-up between two or more entities, usually between brands and artists, pro-athletes, designers, and boutique labels. Limited Releases are very popular and are normally sold out in just hours or minutes upon release despite the hefty price tag. Collaborative works for General Release regularly come with a decent price tag, but can sometimes cost an arm and a leg because of hype, social media anticipation, or marketing strategy. Kanye's collab with Adidas is one such example.
DadAlso dubbed as ugly shoes or turbo trainers, dad sneakers are chunky footwear inspired by the rubber shoes our fathers strutted in the 80s and 90s. These kicks feature massive soles adding few inches to the wearers' heights, with a thick and well-padded upper for ultra-comfortable strides, and often finished with curvy lines, patterns, and striking colors for flashier charm. See *Dad sneakers*
ClassicIn the sneaker world, classic is the name of the game. The older the shoe is, the more it is sought-after by sneaker fans. Classic sneakers are basically the original models with very little or almost no changes since they were released years ago. Fans of classic sneakers can have their fill as the choices are so many and they vary in price, style, and design. See *classic sneakers*
PlatformOversized and thick soles best describe platform sneakers. Specifically, sneakers within this category are outfitted with at least 1” sole. *Puma Thunder Spectra* and *Balenciaga Triple S Trainers* are the widely popular models of this category. The trend started and continues to be a hit among women, but has recently caught the attention of men as well. See *platform sneakers*
RetroThese are sneakers that are initially released in the past, preferably a decade ago, and eventually resurrected due to its popularity. These re-released sneakers are now assembled with modern materials though their constructions lie close to the original model. Some of the most famous lines capitalizing on this trend come from the Jordan series as well as the Air Max, New Balance 990, Adidas EQT lines to name a few. See *retro sneakers*
BoostAdidas' most popular cushioning technology, BOOST utilizes the TPU(thermoplastic polyurethane) in the midsole that offers superior energy return and impact absorption to wearers. Many of Adidas' classic sneakers are now featuring this sophisticated midsole tech.
PrimeknitAdidas fuses its own technology on ordinary fabric to create a flexible, yet long lasting upper. This material is renowned for enhancing the comfort and and fit of sneakers in Adidas collection.
AdipreneA midsole cushioning tech that provides efficient shock absorption in the forefoot and heel. An enhanced version is also available, called the AdiPRENE+.
JoyrideThe Nike Joyride is a cushioning technology that uses thousands of strategically positioned small TPE beads in the midsole. These beads arrange themselves around the foot for a unique underfoot experience. As the foot strikes the ground, the beads experience multi-directional displacement to absorb the impact while maximizing the energy return.
LunarlonThe Nike Lunarlon is a lightweight cushioning technology that was inspired by the manner on how astronauts bounce on the moon. This tech provides spring-like cushioning to its wearers and distributes impact across the foot. This shock-absorbing technology is used in many of Nike's performance sneakers, such as basketball, tennis, skateboarding, running, and training.
FlyknitThe top of the line upper material of Nike that is made of micro-engineered knit for lightweight, durable, and form-fitting fit. Sneakers with Flyknit uppers are some of the most comfortable shoes around.
ComfyCushOne of Vans' latest tech that is launched to improve the comfort and support of the old classics. Most of Vans' iconic shoes now offer this midsole and outsole tech for an even better sneaker experience.
UltraCushVans' DNA as a skating brand is not lost despite their classics being used as a lifestyle wear than usual skating. For loyal Vans fans, the UltraCush HD for sockliners brings more protection without sacrificing board feel from the brand's top of the line sneakers.
SpingThese are sneakers that are normally durable, versatile, and are usually stylish due to the spring-like vibrant colors. There's a wide variety of options for those who wish to travel in Spring as the choices for breathable and comfortable sneakers are just as easily available. Considering that Spring sneakers are some of the most affordable and versatile on the market, it's no wonder they are a dime dozen for everyone. See *spring sneakers*
SummerThese must-cop kicks for the warm season are typically made of durable, lightweight, and breathable materials that will lessen its wearer's chance of having smelly or sweaty feet. Generally covered with brightly colored hues, these heat-busting footwear will surely suit the intense heat of the sun while keeping the user's overall ensemble on-point for the summer. See *summer sneakers*
WinterStill retaining its street-style look, these winter-ready sneakers will undoubtedly keep its wearers feeling comfortable and toasty even when the temperature is way below the freezing point. These kicks are commonly loaded with innovative fabrics, lining, and right technologies designed to retain heat aiding its wearers to survive the sub-zero temperature. Also, some brands add grippy lugs on its flexible outsole for wearers to endure the slushy, slippery terrains. See *winter sneakers*
Slip-onSneakers that can be quickly put on or removed and usually possess an upper with a fused tongue with matching elastic accents to keep the shoe in place. Some shoes with straps, toggle laces, and waterproofed iterations in a bootie construction exclude them almost naturally from being called slip-ons. Most major brands contain at least one slip-on in their catalog while a few like Vans and Keds capitalize on the trend.
Lace-upEasily the most common and popular type of closure in sneakers. The use of laces allow the user a more customized fit and hold. It is for this reason that lace-up shoes are extremely popular and versatile.
StrapSneaker fans who value convenience find these shoes perfect for their needs. For those who are always on the go, sneakers with straps as closure are a must have. Previously coming almost exclusively in white, different brands now offer this kind of shoes in a multitude of colorways for versatility when it comes to style.
- Lace Type
- Number of reviews
- Designed by
If you’ve ever worn sneakers, then you know these are one of the best man-made inventions ever. They’re comfortable, stylish, and you can wear them with anything and even, anywhere. (Ever heard of the bride and groom who wore sneaks on their wedding day? Just so.) And one of the most well-known brands out there is Nike.
Nike has been a significant player in the sneaker market since 1964. They’ve pioneered several shoe techs ranging from the waffle sole and Air cushioning to the Flyknit and FlyWire. They are responsible for churning out hundreds of designs with several becoming classics for the way they defined an era. One of these classics is the Nike Internationalist.
A Cool, Brief History of the Internationalist
Nike Internationalist sneakers were released in 1982 during the New York City Marathon and defined an era of distance running footwear. They are considered to be the brand’s unofficial follow-up to that cult classic, the Vortex. Marathon legend, Alberto Salazar, one of the developers of the model, sported the sneakers in the race and, incredibly, bagged top prize.
During the week of the marathon, Nike also released its first ever TV commercial. This and Alberto’s smash triumph at the race combined to ensure the success of this footwear model.
The make: The original Nike Internationalist sneakers had thick EVA midsoles, PermaFoam inserts that adjust to the shape of the feet, waffle outsoles that provide stability and traction whether on the road or on the trail and notched heel counters for eliminating pressure on the user’s lower Achilles. The shoes were curve-lasted and featured a Variable Lacing Width System to give users the perfect fit.
Performance: The Internationalist model was well-received by serious runners for being light and incredibly tough as nails and having a solid tread. The sneakers were often lauded for being comfortable, even when worn on tough trails.
Vintage Ad: These kicks were released under the tagline, “Give em Hell.” They were marketed as comfortable footwear that can take anything you throw at it. The shoes captured a big slice of the running market that was focused on dedicated runners who thought nothing of doing 75 to 100 miles a week, in varying ground and weather conditions.
Trivia: Brian Johnson (portrayed by actor Anthony Michael Hall), aka high school nerd in the Breakfast Club, wore a pair of these kicks in that famous 1985 teen movie.
The comeback of Nike Internationalist shoes
In 2014, the brand gave the Nike Internationalist shoes a much-awaited and deserved trip out of the archives to celebrate its 30th year. Staying true to the original, the brand kept the suede, mesh, and nylon fabric combinations but added a few changes to make the shoes more comfortable and durable, such as injected Phylon midsoles and updated waffle sole treads.
Colorways and Style Guides: Below are some colorways of Nike Internationalist sneakers and some tips on how to wear them. Aside from these, the kicks are also part of NikeiD which means buyers can personalize their shoe colors according to their taste.
- Tartan - These beauties were launched in September of 2018 as part of the “Tartan Pack.” A tartan textile mix of blue, yellow, black, red, and green cover the tongues, quarters, and toe boxes while sedate black covers the rest of the sneakers to provide a striking contrast. Get the perfect look by matching these kicks with skinny jeans, a black V-neck shirt, and a black bomber jacket. Add a structured bag for a bit of contrast.
- Spring Garden - This colorway was released in April of 2017. Along with the Internationalist, this pack also contained the Air Max 90, Juvenate, and Roshe Two. A realistic graphic print of flowers covers the quarters and toe boxes of these sneakers on top of a black base.
- Oil Grey/Summit White/Gum Light Brown/Mink Brown - Beautifully dark and somewhat staid, the brown splashes on the Swoosh and heel tabs give these black sneakers the right amount of ‘pop.’ Perfect to pair with fitted jeans with rolled-up hems, a classic white shirt, and a stylish cotton jacket.
- Particle Beige/Smokey Mauve/Black/Summit White - This colorway on your Nike Internationalist sneakers artfully combines beige and mauve for a wonderfully feminine look. Wear with an A-line dress and a denim jacket on the shoulders.
- Light Silver/Mica Green/Gum Light Brown/Summit White - This icy color combination of mica green and silver provides the perfect accessory to white capri pants. Top with a long-sleeved shirt in any shade of green.
- Summit White/Obsidian/White/New Slate - This shade combination has a nice understated casual feel. It’s the perfect colorway to pair with chinos, a shirt, and a grey cardigan.
- Beach/Summit White/Gum Light Brown/Wheat Gold - The warm and sunny hues of this colorway make it ideal for summer getaways. Women can style this with shorts and a knotted shirt for a carefree and laidback look. Men, meanwhile, would look good with this paired with a button-up shirt and chino shorts.
- White/White/Gum Light - White is far from boring when you’re wearing Nike Internationalist sneakers on your feet. Dress up these kicks with navy chinos and a white cotton shirt. A leather biker jacket would give your outfit just the right amount of edge.
- Black/Anthracite/Sail/Summit White - Black pants, blue jeans, light-colored chinos, and any shade of top would benefit from a dose of Nike Internationalist sneakers in a classic pairing of black and white.
- Wolf Grey-Sail - Understated cool defines these low-top kicks. Grey is just as versatile as black, and this case is no exception. Wear these grey Nike sneakers with a simple white tee, ripped denim, and a brown suede jacket thrown on top. For women who want to go the extra feminine route, put on a grey shift dress and go monochrome all the way.
Nike Internationalist sneakers: other versions of the silhouette
Classics never go out of style, and this is especially true for the Internationalist. The low-top Nike kicks’ retro look, eye-catching style, and comfortable feel ensure the success of the model for years to come. While the original version was re-released in 2014, other versions of the model have also come out.
Nike Internationalist EM (Engineered Mesh)
This model was introduced by the brand in the Spring of 2016. Taking on the original runner’s profile, the Internationalist Engineered Mesh had Wolf6 slits all throughout the uppers and perforated mesh to provide maximum ventilation. The shoe has an unmistakable sporty look with vibrant splashes of color gracing the heel tabs and counters.
- White/White - Blue Lagoon - Ghost Green - This white and blue rendering of the popular silhouette features cool colors set on clean white midsoles and black outsoles. Bright touches of ghost green on the tabs and counters add a lively counterpoint. This colorway on your Nike Internationalist sneakers would look good when paired with ripped black jeans and a fitted sweater.
- Black/Black - Pink Blast - Laser Orange - These black Nike Internationalist sneakers give off a definite retro feel with the vivid orange touches on the heels. Pair up with black leggings and a flowy top for a cool athleisure look.
- Concord/Concord - Chalk Blue - Black - The hints of bright green on the heels of these kicks are the perfect pop to what would otherwise be simple blue sneakers. They will do wonders in sprucing up a boyish outfit of black pants with rolled up hems and an untucked shirt. Another everyday outfit that would do well with these shoes is a pinstriped shirt and skinny blue jeans.
Nike Internationalist FO QS (French Open Quickstrike)
Nike Internationalist sneakers made a comeback with a more court-inspired look. Coming from the French Open Pack, the Internationalist FO QS boasts of nylon, suede, and mesh uppers with striped insoles and a navy leather lining.
- White/ Midnight Navy - Pine Green - Hints of navy give these kicks’ clean white uppers a splash of color. This particular colorway is ideal for lazy Sunday afternoons or walks along the beach. Take these white Nike sneakers, your favorite chinos, a striped tee, grey cardigan and you’re good to go.
- Navy/ White-Red - Tonal leather panels of blue and touches of white and red combine for an interesting and eye-catching color mix. Take a white dress shirt, a navy midi skirt, and these low-top shoes for a slightly glammed-up everyday casual style.
Nike Internationalist Jacquard Winter
Giving the Internationalist a winter-ready look, these classic kicks come wrapped in debossed metallic jacquard uppers and are available in many striking shades. The cold season has never looked so good.
- Metallic Silver - These flashy Nike Internationalist sneakers give off a street-ready vibe that will serve you in good stead no matter where you take them. Get your ripped black jeans out, these kicks, a cropped shirt, and a warm two-tone jacket of silver and black for a totally rad outfit that’s perfect for music festivals and concerts.
- Metallic Dark Sea/Midnight Turquoise - Washed Teal - Dark turquoise and a splash of teal color make these kicks stand out from the crowd. Dress up your skinny blue jeans with these Nike Internationalist sneakers plus a fitted white shirt and a black leather jacket.
- Metallic Hematite/Black/Dark Grey - Metallic sneakers punctuate even the simplest outfit. Get your favorite blouse and denim skirt and pair them with these shoes for a rocking ensemble. You can also do it French street-style by donning a tee and a pleated midi skirt for a sporty, feminine vibe.
- Metallic Mahogany/Night Maroon - Hot, hot, hot. The vivid metallic hue of this colorway is a guaranteed eye-catcher. Break necks and attract double-takes when you don your Nike shoes in this shade. Pants, jeans, skirts, shorts, and dresses will all benefit from a splash of color from these kicks.
Nike Internationalist Luxe
In the Spring of 2016, a luxe version of your favorite Nike Internationalist sneakers came out. Still maintaining the slim profile and light tread of the original version, this new silhouette sports a more elegant style. The colors have been toned down and perforated quarters have been added. New cork insoles, as well as supple leather and suede uppers, perfectly round off these minimalist kicks.
- Phantom/Sail/Light Bone - These are destined to be a classic. The different tones of off-white on these shoes guarantee they will be one of your casual wardrobe staples. For lounging around or on a day trip around town, match these low-tops with a camel knit top and ripped blue jeans. Trade the blue jeans for white cigarette trousers and add on a beige overcoat for a more stylish look.
Nike Internationalist Mid
Receiving an upgrade in the sneakers’ 30th year, the Internationalist not only sported a more comfortable feel, but it was also given a new mid-cut profile of the Nike Internationalist. Staying true to its origins, however, the shoes were given the same brilliant color combinations the silhouette was known for.
- Varsity Red/Varsity Red-Black-White - These red Nike sneakers channel a classic colorway of Mike’s first signature shoes, the Air Jordan 1s. Wear the mid-top shoes with a boldly-striped white and black top and black skinny Accessorize with a red jacket for a more pulled-together look.
- Wolf Grey/Black-Dark Grey - Grey Nike sneakers, your favorite denim, and a two-tone button down shirt would look good on any day out.
- Varsity Royal/Black-White - Just like the ubiquitous blue jeans, blue sneakers are just as versatile and easy to style. Pair these babies with blue leggings or pants, a grey long-sleeved top, and a knit scarf.
- Escape - Released in December of 2014, the Escape Pack (includes the models Air Max 1, Air Max 90, and Air Max 95) are an updated version of Nike’s 1988 ‘Escape Collection.” These Nike Internationalist sneakers are known for their beautiful, luminescent oil-finished leather uppers. Wear with a simple tee and jeans to keep the focus on your shoes.
Nike Internationalist Mid Royal
This premium take on the beloved classic sees a slimmed down and mid-cut profile with deconstructed uppers, laser-etched panels on the Vachetta Tan ankle collars, and allover premium suede. Released on November of 2016, these luxe Nike Internationalist sneakers will make your winters anything but dreary.
- Midnight Navy/Midnight Navy-Summit White - These navy Nike Internationalist sneakers will add a touch of luxury to an otherwise casual outfit. Wear these with black chinos, a white shirt, and navy bomber jacket for an upgraded everyday look. Or, pair with ripped jeans, a cute grey top, and a brown overcoat.
- Sandtrap/Sandtrap-Summit White - This off-white color looks excellent no matter what season you wear it in. Match a fitted white top (with 3/4 sleeves) with mauve pants and these kicks for a cool fall look. Or, pair with a pretty off-shoulder top and denim pants for a sexy summery
- Black/Black-Summit White -Vachetta Tan -Black is sexy and nothing says sexy chic more than these premium mid-tops. You can wear these with a suit, with a denim skirt and a tee, or with a tunic dress and denim jacket. Whichever way you wear these shoes, know that you’ll be turning heads.
Nike Internationalist Mid QS (Quickstrike)
These Nike Internationalist sneakers sport all-new full leather uppers and clean hues in a mid-cut silhouette.
- Reflective Pack (Bronze, Cargo Khaki, Game Royal, Red Clay) - Consisting of four colorways, this Pack represents the changing colors you see during autumn. The uppers’ reflective earth tones (3M) provide visibility during the lengthening nights. The vivid tones of these mid-top shoes are the perfect accompaniment to your activewear outfits. Wear with joggers, a tee, and a colorful exercise jacket.
- Ekiden Pack (Dark Ash and Anthracite) - These Quickstrike offerings come with woodgrain-inspired aesthetics done in honor of Japan’s Hakone Ekiden race. Composed of two colorways, the pack contains one color-blocked model of red and browns and another of more subdued greys. Wear the grey with black leggings and a color-blocked jacket. The Dark Ash version, meanwhile, looks great when paired with outfits of subdued hues.
Nike Internationalist Premium
This premium version of the Internationalist, which first came out in 2016, is made from supple suede with colorways mostly featuring tonal shades. Some feature perf details all over, some on the toeboxes only, while others have none at all.
- Perf Pack (Pink, Beige, Mint) - Nike Internationalist sneakers from this pack contain perf details all throughout the toe boxes and quarters of the shoes while featuring tongues trimmed with canvas. Displaying tonal hues of either soft pink, beige, or green, these kicks are excellent in helping you get an effortless chic kind of look. Match with jeans, chunky open cardigans, and a white collared shirt. A flowy dress would also benefit from these pink Nike shoes for a bit of casual vibe
- Phantom White - Done up in tonal colors of white, these have the clean and sophisticated look of sneakers that would be perfect for the hot season. Perf details feature on the toe boxes while the sneakers sit on gum soles. Get that perfect summery look by matching these babies with beige or white pants, a striped shirt, and a jacket in the same shade as your bottoms.
- Wolf Grey - Composed of monotone grey suede uppers and slightly darkened tongues, these low-top kicks can carry you through casual to smart occasions effortlessly. Pair with grey skinnies and a casual tee for trips around town or match with a grey suit and a white shirt for a less casual setting.
Nike Internationalist Premium SE
These dope kicks carry a color-blocked design in a mix of nylon and textile.
- Black/White - With black toeboxes and vamps, and white quarters and heels, these eye-catching Nike Internationalist sneakers are fire. Pair with dark jeans, a white blouse, and an open front ruched blazer for a low-key casual sophisticated style. Men can style these shoes with dark trousers, a button-down white shirt, and a nice standout belt.
- Black/Anthracite - With black covering the front and a dark grey hue for the back, these kicks are sure to blend with any outfit you choose. To achieve a casual chic look, pair with grey trousers and a long-sleeved cotton shirt. Jeans in any color plus a windbreaker in a vivid shade would also look extremely cool.
- Black/Green - Olive and black Nike Internationalist sneakers anyone? Take these kicks, a white tee, black pants, and an army green jacket to create the perfect weekend outfit. You can also don an all-navy outfit of jeans, knit top, and duffle coat. Add a hot woman/man to the mix and that weekend is sure to be a blast.
Nike Internationalist LT17
The retro runner silhouette gets a beautiful makeover with leather/suede/textile uppers and a splash of mesh thrown in. An “Internationalist LT17” print runs vertically from the top of the heel tab to the heel counter.
- Binary Blue - For a stylish lounge outfit, put on these navy kicks and add white cotton pants and an ombre shirt in dark blue hues to the mix.
- Black - Black looks good on anything and if it’s these Nike Internationalist sneakers we’re talking about, then that goes double. Women can rock the all-black look by wearing these with slim-fit jeans and a figure-hugging top in the same hue. A beige structured bag will add some nice contrast to your ensemble. Men, meanwhile, can go the all-black route as well by matching these beauts with slim dark chinos, a sleek shirt, and a leather jacket.
Nike Internationalist Mid Utility
A winter’s edition of your favorite Nike Internationalist sneakers comes in the form of the Internationalist Mid Utility. These ruggedly handsome shoes feature a mid-top height, round laces, and an excellent weather-proof coating on the uppers. NSW’s 2016 release gives us another great sneakerboot option.
- Olive Flak/Black - Grove Green - These green Nike sneakers are great for kicking around in the cold weather. Make sure to keep stylish during the cold season by pairing these with olive pants, a black shirt/blouse, and a brown leather jacket. A scarf in the same shade as your top would complete the look.
- Triple Black - Who can resist shoes in triple black? These kicks have the perfect amount of cool and edgy. Mix with ripped black jeans and a rust-colored shirt for hanging out at the park with your friends. Add a black denim jacket/coat for colder weather.
For most shoe companies, collaborations are a must. These not only drive up sales but also open up the brand to creative input from people who are otherwise not part of their usual design process. Many memorable shoe designs have come from these collabs, and the really excellent ones have stayed in the consumers’ collective consciousness for years. Nike Internationalist sneakers are not a stranger to collaboration and have managed to produce a couple of unforgettable kicks.
Pendleton x Nike Internationalist
In 2016, Pendleton Woolen Mills opened up its archives and collaborated with Nike for a shoe interpretation of one of its signature woolen prints. The collection (which included collabs with the Air Max 90 and Air Max 1 as well) had the graphic on a majority of the Internationalist’s uppers except for the eyestays, heel tabs, and the Swoosh. A flash of blue on the midsoles break the dark theme, and black sole units tie the whole thing together.
Style ‘em: Break the monotony of wearing tonal or colorblocked sneakers and wear these instead. Put on a bright-hued blazer, blue jeans, and a fun sweater and accessorize with these kicks.
Liberty London x Nike Internationalist
Liberty London is a West End London department store that is known for its graphics and floral prints. For Nike’s SS2014 collection, a collaboration with the retail store resulted in a bold urban look that transformed the Internationalist into a patchwork of three famous Liberty prints: the Anoosha, Crown, and Lora. Rugged rope-style laces give these Nike Internationalist sneakers a rugged look.
A bit of background on the prints: The prints come from Liberty’s fabric designs. The Anoosha was a 1930’s graphic featuring bell flowers and blossoms. The Crown is composed of paisley block prints dating from the late 19th to early 20th century. The Lora comes from a 1970’s “Willow” pattern version by William Morris.
Style ‘em: Add a bit of fun to your everyday getup by pairing these cool graphic sneakers with a graphic or statement tee, blue jeans, and a blue cardigan. These shoes would also look cool with any of your summer ensemble including shorts.
Q: How do the Nike Internationalist shoes fit?
A: Nike Internationalist sneakers generally run true to size with a narrow to medium fit. The shoes have a slim profile that would look good on any type of feet.
Q: How about comfort?
A: Majority of reviewers deem these shoes as comfortable with average to good arch support and excellent cushioning. The sneakers also have an aerodynamic shape which boosts its lightweight feel.
Q: What can you say about these sneakers’ traction?
A: Nike Internationalist sneakers were created to be used in different ground conditions by serious runners. Although now used primarily as fashion kicks rather than running shoes, they still retain that good traction that they were known for.
Q: What is the difference between the low-top and mid-top Nike Internationalist sneakers? Which is better?
A: The cut determines the freedom of movement. A pair of low-tops would enable your ankle to move more freely than mid-tops but they also offer less support than the mid-tops do. And both styles are excellent, neither is better than the other. It all boils down to which cut suits your needs more.
Q: Are the Nike Internationalist shoes versatile?
A: Definitely. Nike Internationalist sneakers go well with most anything. It depends on the color/design, really, but most go with different types of clothing, so these are guaranteed to be wardrobe staples. They’re easy to pair with shorts, dresses, jeans, and chinos. Just remember that generally, the more vivid the color of the shoes, the more toned down the outfit should be. And vice versa. But of course, there are always exceptions, and if you can pull it off, why not?
Q: Can I wear the Nike Internationalist under all weather conditions?
A: No. Some of these kicks are covered mainly in suede. That won’t do during rainy or wintry conditions. The Nike International Mid Utility should be fine to wear under any weather condition but for the rest, it depends on the season. You also have to figure in the color of the sneakers. White and off-white kicks are no-nos during wet and wintry seasons except if you can be sure to keep them absolutely dry and safe.
Q: Can I use these for running?
A: Yes, although these aren’t really performance sneakers so don’t expect too much. Many reviewers have found these shoes did well when used for some running since they were originally built for this purpose. However, your Nike Internationalist sneakers are more geared towards fashion use and if you’re a dedicated runner, you might be served more by choosing a modern running shoe.
Q: How do I make my Nike Internationalist sneakers last?
A: If you can brush or clean off your shoes after every use, your shoes will thank you. This can be time-consuming however so just keeping your sneakers aired out should be fine unless they’re really soiled. Try to alternate the shoes you wear too so each pair can breathe.
Q: How do I clean my Nike Internationalist shoes off?
A: The material of the sneakers determine how you clean it. Shoes made of canvas or mesh can be washed and left to dry. Suede can be cleaned with a soft brush. There’s also a special cleaner just for the fabric. Leather can be wiped with a damp cloth and a soft brush.
Q: How do I store these?
A: Make sure your shoes are thoroughly dried before storing away. Keep them away from direct sunlight, preferably, and it helps if you put in a bit of baking soda in your shoes’ storage box. Not only does the baking soda draw away excess moisture, it also keeps the sneakers smelling fresh.