Experts are cyclers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
Who is it for? The Pearl Izumi X-Alp Divide is described by the brand as their most versatile model, as it combines the stiffness of road shoes with MTB shoes' comfort on and off the bike. This pair would suit the following types of riders:
- Urban commuters
- Casual road cyclists who prefer the SPD cleat system
- Amateur mountain cyclists or hobbyists
- Indoor cycling enthusiasts
What is it for? This mountain bike shoes by Pearl Izumi is great for the following cycling activities:
- Trail riding
- Non-technical off-road riding
- Indoor cycling
- Spontaneous multi-terrain sessions
Balance between rigidity and flex. The Pearl Izumi X-Alp Divide employs a full-length nylon plate that yields adequate power transfer for off-road performance and enough pliability for off-bike walking comfort.
Traction. Aggressive treads cover the outsole to provide superior grip on slippery areas and enhance sole durability.
This Pearl Izumi model features the traditional MTB two-bolt cleat design. Some of the pedals you can pair this shoe with are Shimano XT M8020 Trail, DMR V-Twin and Nukeproof Horizon CS.
The cleat area is recessed to allow comfortable walking motions.
Comfort. Equipped bonded seamless uppers, the X-Alp Divide offers a comfortably snug fit sans the pressure points. The synthetic material is also lightweight and durable.
The collar area is padded for enhanced cushioning and overall comfort.
Breathability. Perforation holes are placed throughout the upper to promote excellent airflow.
Protection. This pair's toe cap area features reinforcements to provide protection against impacts and bumps. It also improves the shoe's overall durability.
Lockdown. The fastening system of this shoe is governed by two anatomical straps. They are easy to configure and provides excellent cinching.
- The tongue features pre-cuts to serve as a guide if you need to customize how the tongue feels on your foot. You can cut them if there is any discomfort.
- As mentioned before, this pair took inspiration from the All-Road v4 model. Both shoes look almost the same except at the more refined seamless look and lesser Velcro straps of the X-Alp Divide.