Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
89 / 100 based on 9 expert reviews
However, if you are after a hillwalking boot than can tackle any of the graded scrambles in the UK, without sacrificing all-day walking comfort, or security in the mud, then I can happily push you in their direction.
The Ayako High GTX is [sic] lightweight mobile mountain contender that won't make a heavy impact on your wallet.
The Ayako High GTX is a great boot and comes very highly recommended. I had high expectations of these boots and they have delivered in every way.
For hiking, trailing, non-technical mountain terrain / via ferrata, the Mammut Ayako High GTX boot really is one to seriously consider.
The Ayako High GTX was developed for via ferrata use, but works well for combined mountain walking and scrambling with a light, precise feel.
A lightweight performance mountain boot.
- Mammut has beefed up the Ayako High GTX with technologies that address comfort and safety including Base Fit, Feet Map and Memo Foam. Its 3 Zone Lacing system allows autonomy on fit adjustment.
- The Motion Control that reinforces the inside of the boot helps prevent injuries. The Triple Density midsole and Poro Wedge work together for cushioning and shock absorption. Its tongue is constructed using an elastic Gore-Tex material.
- The upper of the Mammut Ayako High GTX uses the breathable velour leather with textile. It is lined with Gore-Tex Performance Comfort that promises an all-season comfort. The upper is augmented with the Liquid Rubber Protection.
- Its outsole features the grippy Vibram Mulaz. It has features that aid the wearer during ascent. The boot is rated A7 in Mammut's Flex Index.
The Ayako High GTX is offered to men and women. Mammut designers used the Backpacking Tech as its last. As a result, the shoe is very close fitting and has a narrow heel for optimal support. It also offers a medium spring and has an asymmetrical design.
It also has the 3 Zone Lacing system which facilitates fit customization. Its lower section has a pair of stitched eyelets, followed by three pairs of leather loops, and metal locking hooks. This construction allows the user to alter the tension on the foot distinctively. The third set of metal hooks from the collar is set into a webbing strap that forms the Base Fit system. It enhances comfort and security by linking the lace area to the sole. It improves support from the boot, thus preventing heel lift.
Providing underfoot protection for the Ayako High GTX is the Vibram Mulaz. It features the Climbing Zone in the toe area to enable a safe hold on small edges while ascending. Its medium depth treads are grippy and grant a secure foothold. The indicated rating in Mammut's Flex Index is A7 which means that it is structured with a semi-rigid sole.
Mammut’s Ayako High GTX uses a triple density midsole. It is made from three different materials that vary in strength and softness to provide cushioning. The Poro Wedge, which is compressed Phylon foam, has good damping properties which dissipate vibration from impacts. Phylon foams are made from ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) through a compression molding technique.
The Motion Control system strengthens the in-shoe environment while enabling flexibility. It serves as the wearer's protection against ankle twisting. Its high lateral support does not constrain the forward and backward movement of the foot.
The Mammut Ayako High GTX uses velour leather for its upper. This type of material is known for being tough and breathable. It is constructed with textile panels that render the boot its flexibility.
This mountaineering boot features the Gore-tex Performance Comfort membrane. It is made to endure a wide range of outdoor activities, from temperate to cool conditions. It also offers moderate insulation for keeping the warmth in colder temperatures.
The elastic Gore-Tex tongue with a pull strap allows easy on and off. It also helps keep the foot and ankle dry. The construction of this component prevents the formation of creases, thus eliminating friction.
The rubber toe and heel cap shield the forefoot and heel areas, respectively. The heel cap also delivers lateral stability. The upper is reinforced with the Liquid Rubber that offers protection without the additional weight. The cuff, instep and shinbone area are padded with Memo Foam for comfort.
With the FeetMap technology, this mountaineering boot is able to address areas of the foot that are prone to impacts and susceptible to temperature changes. It is a lining and padding system that considers the overall comfort of the foot.
- The Mammut Ayako High GTX won the Outdoor Enthusiast magazine’s Editor’s Choice award.
- The brand recommends this boot for via ferrata (iron route in Italian)—the term for protected mountain routes with the presence of suspended bridges, ladders, cables and other similar aids found on hiking and climbing trails.