Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
98 / 100 based on 1 expert reviews
I'm very impressed with these boots.
- Lowa aims to address the needs of mountaineers who tackle demanding, mixed terrain. Thus, they have incorporated numerous technologies in the Alpine Pro GTX. The brand used the Vibram Alp Trac for the boot’s outsole. It has an alpine tread pattern to secure foothold on different trails. The technology’s close-to-the-rock and close-to-the-ground designs make the Alpine Pro GTX a minimalist mountaineering boot. They also enable a closer connection to the surface for better pacing.
- Forming the midsole is a low profile DuraPU that works together with the Climate Control footbed for cushioning and rebound. Other features include a heel cushioning and the Anatomical fit which naturally gives arch support. All midsole features grant the user a more comfortable ride.
- A synthetic fabric with a Gore-Tex membrane hugs the upper of the Alpine Pro GTX. It uses the Lowa Flex lacing system and Fit wing for optimal tensioning. The rubber rand and heel pull loop are also found in the upper.
The Alpine Pro GTX caters to men and women. It is offered in medium width and has a range of whole and half sizes. Lowa added a couple of features which deal with the fit. The Slingshot, an adapted technology, aims to bring an ideal heel fit while the adjustable tongue allows users to fine-tune the fit according to their preference. This mid-cut mountaineering boot fairly runs true to size.
To grant a secure foothold on mixed terrain, Lowa has used the Alp Trac outsole from Vibram. It has self-cleaning, medium-depth treads and multidirectional lugs which provide grip. A large Climbing Zone is designed at the tip of the sole to make the user's steps precise.
The brand-patented close-to-the-rock technology is designed to have a small distance between the foot and rocks to deliver a good toe hold during ascents. On the other hand, the close-to-the-ground attribute adjusts the height of the stack and platform for a more secure ride.
The midsole of the Alpine Pro GTX is made of a crampon-ready low profile DuraPU. This is a shock-absorbent material and offers comfort through its durable cushioning. It uses a moisture-wicking Climate Control footbed which has a breathable top layer and a foam that conforms to the user’s foot.
The comfort from the insole is enhanced by Lowa’s Shock absorber tech which is an integrated heel cushioning. This is attached to the insole for improved comfort and rebound. The Anatomical fit technology renders arch support, and it works jointly with the hard shank for a more supportive stride.
This mountaineering boot has an abrasion-resistant synthetic fabric lined with Gore-Tex. Lowa used their proprietary lasted method to ensure seamless and smooth incorporation of the lining. This technique reduces friction so that blisters and hot spots can be prevented. Its Gore-Tex membrane delivers a waterproof and breathable in-shoe environment.
The Lowa Flex Lacing incorporated in the Alpine Pro GTX enhances walking comfort through its features. It has a to-the-toe lacing for a secure foot lockdown, and individually mounted lacing hardware that is free-moving. A soft textile material is used on the hems at the ankle, and the underside of the tongue has flex-ridges. The “floating” hook, which is the third hardware from the top of the foot, allows the user to tighten the laces without unwarranted pressure on the ankle.
Lowa added the Fit wing technology to direct the tension for more control at the heel properly. A pull tab is situated at the heel to assist in easier on and off. Also, the brand added a high wall rubber rand that wraps the boot for protection.
- This boot has a cemented sole construction which makes it resoleable (meaning soles can be fixed or replaced).
- The Lowa Alpine Pro GTX is compatible with hybrid (semi-automatic) crampons.