Experts are trackers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
93 / 100 based on 1 expert reviews
The Mach 18 will fit most runners comfortably, while fast, experienced runners will appreciate and benefit most from the light weight, relatively firm cushioning, and aggressive, fast ride.
Use - The Brooks Mach 18 is designed for middle-distance track racing and all-weather, cross-country racing. This racing shoe is built for speed for both the advanced and novice runners alike.
Spike Type - Using the same spike version as the popular Adidas Adizero Finesse, the Mach 18 uses the ¼ inch Pyramid spikes. These spikes offer aggressive grip support on the track for faster propulsion. This works well with the aggressive lug pattern on the outsole, which enhances traction on any surface.
Spike Plate - The Mach 18 uses an aggressive Pebax Rnew spike plate, which sets the stage for the most aggressive track and field spike available. Pebax Renew distance plate, which has been added in the forefoot is a polymer-based plate engineered for enhanced power transfer and flexibility.
- The 18th edition of the Mach track and field spike is an excellent follow up to its predecessor, the Mach 17. The new model features a lightweight mesh upper that locks in the wearer's foot with no added weight. Brooks used an advanced printing process to develop a lightweight 3D Fit Printed mesh upper that has a strategic stretch and structure. This innovative material securely conforms and contours to the user's foot. It has also been designed to have a breathability feature that keeps the feet fresh while the synthetic overlay is responsible for the shoe's secure fit.
- This track and field shoe is also incorporated with microfiber internal support that offers a seamless, soft fit on the inside of the shoe, which makes it possible for sockless wear.
- The Strobel last on the Mach 18 gives an additional full-length layer of foam for extra cushioning and flexibility.
- The shoe's midsole has been updated with the use of CMEVA, which means Compression-molded EVA. This midsole material ensures minimalistic padding for added comfort without the added weight.
- It also uses an asymmetrical lacing that eliminates pressure points and hot spots.
The Brooks Mach 18 comes in both men's and women's medium width sizing. Respectably, medium D for men's and medium B for women's. Its flexible upper and generous forefoot allows a comfortable fit for wearers with wider feet. It also offers some space for the feet to naturally splay in. This helps in contributing to the smooth-rolling ride while wearing the Mach 18. It is known to accommodate medium to low foot volume while the narrow heel gives the shoe a snug-fit feeling.
The Brooks Mach 18 is a racing and cross country spike that is ready for even the muddiest course. Its deep rubber toothed outsole provides maximum traction. The removable ¼ inch pyramid spikes are set in a robust Pebax Rnew spike plate to hold them firmly. It also stops the spikes from wobbling out when the going gets tough. It comes with a set of removable spikes. With these two together, it enables the outsole to provide a responsive ride. It also offers a good grip on any type of racing surface without getting weighed down while propelling the runner forward.
The shoe's midsole has been updated with the use of CMEVA, which means Compression-molded EVA. This thin CMEVA foam midsole cradles the heel, contours up under the arch of the feet, narrowing down to a thin layer between the spike plate and runner's toes. Experienced and professional runners found it to have the right amount of firmness for grass courses, while novice runners thought it felt a bit thin toward the end of long workouts and races.
The 18th version of the Brooks Mach now features a 3D fit print upper. It is also fitted with supportive overlays printed onto the lightweight, breathable mesh material to provide structure without compromising the shoe's flexibility.
Also introduced in the Mach 18 is the microfibre internal support, which makes the inside of the shoe smooth enough to wear even without socks. The microfibre support is a soft, suede-like microfiber liner laced around the arch and side of the toe-box. It adds comfort and support, allowing runners to go sockless if they wish. The heel is also lightly padded and contoured with this material, which is just enough to hold without interfering with the foot's natural movement.