|Base model:||Brooks Ghost 8|
|Update:||Brooks Ghost 12 GTX|
|Weight:||Men: 11.8oz | Women: 9.5oz|
|Heel to toe drop:||Men: 12mm | Women: 12mm|
|Arch type:||High arch|
|Strike Pattern:||Heel strike|
|Distance:||Daily running | Long distance | Marathon|
|Heel height:||Men: 35mm | Women: 33mm|
|Forefoot height:||Men: 23mm | Women: 21mm|
|Type:||Heavy | Big guy|
|Width:||Men: Normal | Women: Normal|
Experts are runners, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
80 / 100 based on 2 expert reviews
Overall, I really like these shoes. They kept my feet warm for winter running, although some days when I wasn't too cold, I did find my foot was feeling extra warm.
You don’t get a lot of flexibility, but you get a lot of underfoot comfort.
- The highly-popular Ghost line gets a serious makeover in the Ghost 8 GTX. In this version, Brooks made several changes to make the ride firmer and more explosive. By putting a slightly thicker and firmer midsole foam and a crash pad that extends from the heel to the toe, Brooks has successfully made the transition from just soft cushioning to a really responsive ride with smoother transitions.
- For a neutral shoe, the supportive feel is enhanced even more. Brooks made this possible by making the platform a bit wider. This slightly wider platform works in conjunction with a full-contact outsole for stable and supportive run.
- The upper also presents a good number of changes that will make comfort and fit better than ever. Brooks introduces a midfoot loop between the eyelets for added midfoot foothold and better fit. The tongue is a bit longer and more padded for improved comfort. Finally, the toe box has more volume, which adds more breathing room and luxurious feel in the shoe.
- Brooks uses for the first time the engineered mesh in the Ghost 8 GTX. This is a type of mesh that has been proven to provide excellent breathability and adaptability.
- Synthetic overlays are strategically positioned, including the logo, which also acts as a midfoot support. The no-sew design of the overlays limits the risks of irritation and makes the shoe look more streamlined.
Except for the enhanced volume in the toe box, the fit of the Brooks Ghost 8 GTX is basically the same as the past version. The standard fit of the heel to the forefoot caters to a large portion of the runners who normally have average measurements. Brooks made it a point to serve the needs of runners of different foot types as the available widths offered are narrow, medium, and wide. Sizing is spot on with options 7 to 14 for the men’s and 4 to 11 for the women’s.
An extremely sturdy rubber in the heel that Brooks refers to as HPR Plus provides superior durability in this area. The forefoot features Blown Rubber for better traction. Adding a bit of cushioning and a smoother transition is the placement of full-contact rubber.
Brooks’ patented BioMoGo DNA is a sophisticated midsole technology that offers adaptable cushioning. It is a midsole foam that is more responsive, lighter, and more durable than standard EVA. For added measure, it gives back more than 30% of the impact force upon landing for a more energetic run. This midsole element is also present in the Ghost 11 running shoe. The midsole is also where the extended crash pad is located. Now spanning almost the entire midsole, it makes transitions smoother and helps with the firm and responsive cushioning. Omega Flex Grooves are also placed in the area for better flexibility.
The Gore-Tex waterproofing membrane is fitted in the inner part of the upper to keep off water and snow. As mentioned the engineered mesh offers plenty of breathability. Brooks uses synthetic overlays and 3D Print Frames or light layers to provide the upper with structure and support. Providing a better fit and comfort is an Adjustable Saddle Construction that now features a new midfoot loop. A sockliner made out of BioMoGo foam adds cushioning and plush comfort.