For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 23.8ozWomen: 19.2oz
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
87 / 100 based on 3 expert reviews
The Berghaus Fellmaster GTX is a great boot for general hillwalking at this price.
I’d say that Berghaus have kept up to their good reputation with these comfortable and reliable boots.
The combination of comfortable de-luxe padding, bespoke Pittards leather and a classic broad Brasher fit makes the Berghaus Fellmaster GTX a solid, armchair plush hill-walking boot.
Updates to Berghaus Fellmaster GTX
- Berghaus developed the Fellmaster GTX as a rugged boot designed for high-performance hiking. Its three-part sole unit features lightweight components that include a high-density molded midsole, support shank and grippy outsole.
- Using a 2.2 - 2.4 mm Pittard leather lined with a Gore-Tex laminate, this day hiking boot promises comfort and a well-ventilated environment. Acting as a shield against outdoor rubble is its high collar, heel and toe box.
Berghaus Fellmaster GTX size and fit
Offered in full and half sizes, the Berghaus Fellmaster GTX is a boot which caters to both men and women. It comes in standard width and fairly runs true to size. The combination of the lacing hardware used allows wearers a quick and precise fit adjustment.
The brand-owned outsole has multi-directional, aggressive lugs which grip on different trail conditions. The widely-spaced treads prevent water and debris from getting caught under the boots, thus preventing slips. The front extends upward to form a bumper that protects the user’s toes.
The high-density molded midsole is in charge of underfoot cushioning. This foam is known for its longevity and durability. A torsional shank is added into the boot to stabilize and support the wearer’s foot without compromising flexibility.
The Fellmaster GTX from Berghaus has a 2.2 - 2.4 mm Pittard oiled nubuck leather for an upper. It went through a tanning process that permanently keeps the fibers safe. As a result, water uptake and the chances of getting damage from sweat are reduced. The breathability of the leather is retained as the procedure does not obstruct its natural framework. Pittard’s process also makes the upper soft and easy to maintain.
The Gore-Tex Performance Comfort lines this waterproof hiking boot. It’s a membrane that balances breathability and water protection. It is also moderately insulated. With this feature, the foot is kept dry under moderate to cold conditions. It lets moisture inside the boot escape while preventing water from seeping in.
The high collar and the tongue of the Fellmaster GTX are padded with memory foam. It gives the shoe a cushiony feel even when users have to tighten the laces. The boot also has a sturdy heel and toe box which adds protection against odds and sods. The men’s version has a toe cap. On the other hand, the women’s version only relies on the toe bumper of the outsole for forefoot protection.
- In caring for Berghaus leather boots, here are a few things to remember.
- Prepare the boots for cleaning by removing the insole and laces. Give it a good shake to draw out debris which can damage the waterproof lining. Under lukewarm running water, use a soft bristled brush to remove stubborn dirt.
- After cleaning the boots, it is imperative to impregnate the leather with a conditioning cream while it is still damp. Doing so prevents water absorption and promotes longevity of the leather. Apply cream with a soft cloth paying attention to the seams and eyelets.
- Drying the boot under extreme temperatures (i.e., direct sunlight, car blowers) can cause early degradation of its leather upper and other components. Let it air dry and if necessary, stuff it with newspapers to facilitate drying. Store the pair in a dry, well-ventilated area once thoroughly dried.
- The Berghaus Fellmaster GTX is a walking boot recommended by The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.
- This boot received the Trail Magazine Approved label in 2015.