Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
90 / 100 based on 2 expert reviews
A capable and comfortable pair of shoes.
They felt comfortable straight out of the box and fit very well, pulling in at all the right places ensuring a snug fit.
- The Explorer Active GTX uses a Vibram outsole with Opti-Stud hiking pattern. It renders traction on unpredictable trails. Also, it does not limit the movement of the foot, making every step more efficient.
- Berghaus includes an Ortholite insole in this low-cut day hiking shoe. It is a product known for its cushioning and durability. The antimicrobial treatment bars odor-causing bacteria.
- The upper of the Berghaus Explorer Active GTX has a WR100 Pittards suede leather. Water resistance and flexibility are some of its characteristics. The benefits of this material make it suitable for use on outdoor footwear.
A day hiking shoe for men and women, the Berghaus Explorer Active GTX is offered in standard width and sizes. It generally runs true to size. It has locking eyelets which allow the user to customize the fit according to their desired tension.
A Vibram rubber with an Opti-Stud hiking pattern yields a grippy and durable outsole. Its design includes large studs and aggressive wall edges that grip on boggy trails. The sole works in conjunction with the movement of the foot to optimize performance. Additionally, it gives a certain amount of toe protection as the sole extends up to the user’s toes.
Berghaus teamed up with Ortholite to create an insole that cushions and promotes air circulation while wicking away moisture. Despite being lightweight, its structural integrity has been proven over time and use. Likewise, it received antimicrobial treatment for odor prevention.
This day hiking shoe has a midsole made of ethylene-vinyl acetate. It is a soft, flexible, rubber-like material. The unit is thick at the heel and then goes thin starting from the midfoot for comfort.
The Explorer Active GTX from Berghaus uses a WR100 Pittards suede leather. Its tanning process includes working on the leather fibers to make it resistant to damage from perspiration. It also leaves the material with low water uptake. The breathability of the leather is maintained as the process does not affect its natural composition.
With a Gore-Tex Extended Comfort laminate, breathability is optimized with its non-insulated construction. It renders protection against water throughout the useful lifetime of the shoe. Whether indoor or outdoor, this lining gives all-day comfort.
- Berghaus recommends the following in caring for their footwear.
- To begin, remove the laces and insole. Give the boots a shake to remove loose dirt. In eliminating stubborn dirt, it is advised to use the brand’s cleaning spray. Use a soft bristled brush and give the soiled part a gentle rub.
- After cleaning the shoes, apply a conditioning cream while it is still damp. Doing this step promotes water resistance of the leather while maintaining its breathability. Use a soft cloth to spread the cream on to the leather evenly. Pay attention to the seams and eyelets.
- Air dry the shoes at room temperature. Do not use extreme heat to facilitate drying as it can damage the integrity of the leather. Once dried, store them in a well-ventilated place. Keeping them while still wet or in a damp area can develop molds.
- Berghaus has a Product Lifetime Guarantee. According to the brand, this guarantee is the length of time their product is able to deliver the same performance as when it was new. If a product has a genuine fault or defect, the brand will repair or replace it. They have a few items listed on their website indicating what is covered and not covered by the guarantee. Moreover, if the product is no longer available, the brand replaces it with the closest possible item.