Reviews from around the internet
- 100/100 by HighAngleHunter.com
- 80/100 by Climbing Gear Reviews
- 80/100 by Live for the Outdoors
- 100/100 by OutdoorGearLab
- 80/100 by Black Sheep Adventure Sports
- 95/100 by Sportiva
- 90/100 by Expedition Portal
- 90/100 by Trailspace
- 90/100 by Latendresse Media Collective
- 90/100 by Enduro America
- 80/100 by GearJunkie
- 80/100 by The Big Outside
- 80/100 by Dustin Marshall Photography
- 80/100 by Rokslide
- 80/100 by Northeast Alpine Start
Video reviews and unboxing
- The La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX, the Trango S Evo’s successor, is crafted to respond to the high demands of passionate mountaineers with its features and updates. The boot’s upper is made using a combination of quality fabrics and light, synthetic materials which make this version less heavy than its predecessor.
- The lower half of the boot’s lacing system is now made of TPU (a sturdy, plastic material) as opposed to the previous version’s synthetic fabric. Majority of this updated closure system’s eyelets are open hooks which allow for quick lace-ups.
- The Trango Cube GTX now has a 4mm graded nylon footbed. This removable insole replaces the former version’s 7mm TrangoFlex footbed.
- Giving climbers traction on rocky and icy surfaces is the boot’s Vibram One outsole. This rubber layer contributes to the footwear’s overall lightness as it has a lower profile compared with the Trango S Evo’s Vibram Mulaz outsole.
The La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX is a mid-cut footgear designed for both male and female mountain climbers. Note that some US half sizes are marked with a plus (+) symbol. These plus-marked sizes are considerations for those needing a slightly bigger half-size fit. Those requiring extra internal space may also remove the detachable tongue. The boot is engineered using the Trango last which gives its interior enough space for medium-width feet. The Trango Cube GTX’s lacing system provides wearers a personalized lockdown, especially with its synthetic ankle lace loops.
La Sportiva's Trango Cube GTX provides wearers the traction they need over mountainous terrain, thanks to its Vibram One outsole. This rubber sole sports low-profile lugs which are designed to help mountaineers secure their footing on uneven surfaces. The lugs around the heel zone make up the outsole’s Impact Brake System. This proprietary technology by La Sportiva has the lugs slanted and positioned at opposing angles to improve the boot’s shock absorption and impact force reduction by about 20% each.
The Trango Cube GTX’s midsole is a stabilizing rubber platform which is made using a combination of polyurethane (PU) and ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA). Majority of the midsole is made of polyurethane which gives it the ability to support the user's weight and withstand wear and tear. Part of the heel zone and the entirety of the arch section, on the other hand, are tough against cracks and give the boot ample rebound as they are made of EVA. Its heel end, which is reinforced with thermoplastic urethane (TPU), serves as a crampon connection.
When it comes to underfoot comfort, on top of the cushy midsole, the boot also has a 4mm graded Nylon footbed. This removable insole has contoured midfoot borders for extra arch support and a perforated forefoot zone for added breathability.
With its multi-layered upper—seamless, waterproof QB3 fabric, Flex-Tec2 fabric, TPU overlay and Vibram rubber rand—the La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX gives wearers a protected mountaineering experience. Debris protection is primarily handled by the boot’s gusseted, outer tongue. Walling off water and other wet elements is the Gore-Tex Performance Comfort liner. This waterproofing technology also improves the boot’s breathability and durability. The interior, which includes the removable tongue, has enough padding for extra comfort.
The Trango Cube GTX’s standard lace-up system features TPU lace hooks and loops which work hand in hand with the upper’s synthetic overlay in giving wearers a snug fit. It has a pair of lace loops that the designers slightly offset from the main path of the eyelets to give wearers the ability to set their desired fit from the ankle up.
The boot’s toe box is reinforced with a rubber coating. This rubber coverage, together with the Vibram rubber rand, guards the footwear against abrasions and gives wearers extra protection against forefoot injuries and toe bumps.
- The La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX is compatible with hybrid bindings (crampons).
- This boot has won Gear Institute’s Best New Gear award in the summer of 2013.