Reviews from around the internet
Video reviews and unboxing
- The La Sportiva Baruntse is an above-the-ankle double boot with a Cordura-coated, thermo-moldable inner liner. The outer boot is a multi-layered shell engineered to be insulated, abrasion-resistant, and waterproof.
- Stability and cushioning over craggy terrain are provided by the boot’s extra-stiff midsole. Its construction is imbued with the SBR Air Cushion technology which boosts the midsole’s comfort level.
- With a Vibram Montagna for an outsole, the Baruntse proactively prevents slips and aggressively latches on to uneven terrain. Its ability to bite into soft and grainy surfaces—think scree and snow—is linked to its beefy lugs.
La Sportiva’s Baruntse is a fairly true-to-size, technical mountaineering footgear. It comes in D – standard width. It is offered in both whole and half sizes. This is a unisex boot. Women are advised to go one size down to get the correct fit.
Getting a personalized fit out of the inner liner is done through a process called heat-molding. Providing a secure lockdown, on the other hand, is made possible by the boot’s lacing system which both the inner liner and outer boot have. The pull tab on the back of the heel provides on-and-off assistance.
Supplying the La Sportiva Baruntse traction on wet and dry surfaces alike is the Montagna outsole by Vibram. Based on the Megagrip rubber compound, this type of outsole promises to deliver a kind of grip performance that adapts to mountainous terrain. It is laden with high-profile, heavy-duty lugs closely resembling the protrusions found in truck tires. The absence of such lugs from the arch zone and the pronounced height of the heel give the boot a heel brake—a feature that grants mountaineers ample descent control. The noticeably wide space in between treads enables the outsole to shed virtually all sorts of debris with every step.
By and large thanks to its 8- to 9-mm thick midsole, the boot can remain stable and provide comfortable cushioning over rough terrain. As it is made of TPU or thermoplastic polyurethane, this rigid component has the innate ability to withstand extreme temperatures and still perform its duties of absorbing shock and resisting scuffs and abrasions adequately.
The midsole has shelves (one on each end—front and back) that serve as crampon connections which make the Baruntse compatible with step-in (automatic) crampons. These shelves are made of a durable synthetic material.
Additional cushioning and thermal insulation come in the form of the boot’s removable insole. Its layers are made up of a 6-mm Ibi-Thermo insulator, aluminum, and polyethylene insulating barrier.
The La Sportiva Baruntse is a waterproof and insulated double boot. Its heat-moldable inner liner is primarily made of high-density, insulating EVA. Its ability to resist scrapes, scuffs, and wear and tear is all thanks to the anti-abrasion Cordura. It has its own closure system which consists of a lace cord and hook and loop fasteners.
Housing the inner liner is the Baruntse’s outer boot. This cozy main shell is amply warm as it is mainly made up of high-density, expanded polyethylene netting and synthetic micro-fiber. The upper’s transparent polyurethane tech film with insulated, expanded polyethylene overlay contributes to the footgear’s overall insulation and abrasion protection. This outer boot is also imbued with the same Cordura technology found in the inner liner.
The Baruntse’s main closure system features classic laces complete with a set of metallic loops, D-rings, and open hooks. The pair of lace tunnels just above the instep, on the other hand, is synthetic. Walling off unwanted debris is the footwear’s gusseted tongue—a kind of tongue that has seamless sides.
- The La Sportiva Baruntse is listed with a price range on the brand site. The upper price is inclusive of the additional cost for either of the two extra (larger) sizes in which the boot is offered.
- Another option from La Sportiva's mountaineering line is the Spantik.