For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 20ozWomen: 14oz
WidthMen: Narrow, Standard, Wide, Extra wideWomen: Narrow, Standard, Wide, Extra wide
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
90 / 100 based on 2 expert reviews
I started wearing the Terrain by Ariat back in 2007. I still have my very first pair and they’re still in great condition.
Updates to Ariat Terrain
- The Terrain uses Ariat’s exclusive Duratread outsole which is known for its durability and slip resistance. Its toughness does not interfere with the comfort and flexibility the boot provides.
- It also features the ATS (Advanced Torque Stability) technology, which is mainly responsible for the steadiness of the boot. It promotes proper gait and aims to reduce fatigue. The shank enhances stability and works with a variety outsoles.
- Ariat’s Terrain combines a full-grain leather and Cordura upper for optimal durability. Both materials are robust and resistant to various ground elements.
Ariat Terrain size and fit
The men’s boot has sizes from 7 to 14 with half sizes until 11.5. The ladies’ variant is from 4 to 11 plus half sizes until 10.5. Both are offered in medium and wide width. This boot fairly runs true to its size. The lace-up closure system includes notches for ankle flex. It promotes support and comfort, especially when bending. It also avoids pressure points on the instep. The padded collar adds comfort.
The Duratread rubber outsole of the Terrain is designed to be highly resistant to slips and oils. The tread pattern is non-marking and grips on different grounds. The flexibility of this material renders a more optimal performance.
The midsole of the Terrain uses Ariat’s exclusive technology, the Advanced Torque Stability (ATS). It is responsible for maintaining the stability and comfort of the boot by promoting proper posture and fatigue reduction. The moisture-wicking top layer of the footbed keeps a cool and dry feeling. It also adds to the upper’s ability to resist moisture. Underneath, the footbed is gel-cushioned on the heel and forefoot to facilitate shock absorption and to provide comfort. It utilizes a composite forked shank which enhances stability and adds support. These features work with different types of use-specific outsoles.
The ATS technology works with the EVA orthotic footbed of the boot. This lightweight foam provides cushioning, acts as a spring and does not absorb water.
The upper is made of leather and Cordura. Full-grain leather (the type used in this product) is known to be the toughest and most resistant to the elements. Its durability is tested and proven over time. Cordura fabrics are also long-lasting, adding to the Terrain’s toughness. Likewise, it is abrasion-resistant. The upper also has a pull loop attached to the heel. It allows easy on and off.
- Aside from hiking, the Terrain line is designed for the endurance training needs of consumers. This boot can be worn in barns, ranches and during any equestrian-related activity.
- It can also be worn as a work boot. One of its key features is a 90-degree heel that improves grip on ladder rungs.