Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
86 / 100 based on 9 expert reviews
Overall, if the Acrux AR fits your foot and price range, we feel confident that this stealth boot will propel you across wide glaciers, up steep drips, and onto many remote summits.
In conclusion: this is everything you'd expect from an Arc'teryx product. Innovative, ground-breaking and unquestionably capable.
This is the best-fitting boot I’ve yet worn. This is the best-fitting boot I’ve yet worn.
The Acrux AR is able to meet all your performance demands due to all the wide range of innovative materials and components leveraged for its production.
This is the lightest double boot on the market, and perfect for winter mountaineering in the lower-48.
Arc'teryx is new to the footwear game but in true Art'teryx fashion they did very well with this boot.
- The Arc’teryx Acrux AR is a high-cut mountaineering double boot. Its lightness is, in large part, attributed to its layered upper which is made up of lightweight foam enclosures and breathable liners. It has doubled-down water protection, thanks to the Gore-Tex membrane lining in both the removable inner bootie and built-in gaiter.
- Craftily hidden by Arc’teryx engineers is the boot’s EVA midsole which provides stability and cushioning over technical terrain. It also has welts both at the rear and front ends which make the boot compatible with automatic (step-in) crampons.
- On the traction front, the Acrux AR has a specially developed outsole called Vibram AR. It has treads and lugs that work together to provide support and improve the user’s overall climbing performance.
The Arc’teryx Acrux AR is a unisex footgear specifically designed for mountain climbers. It has a fairly true-to-size fit. It is offered in standard width and comes in a number of whole and half sizes. Based on Arc’teryx's size chart, women have to go one size down to get the correct Acrux AR size. Powered by Arc’teryx’s Adaptive Fit technology, the inner liner provides a sock-like fit by closely adapting to the user’s foot anatomy. It also has a padded interior with minimal seams for a snug and pressure-free fit. A secure lockdown, on the other hand, is granted by the inner shell’s closure system.
With the Vibram AR outsole, the Arc’teryx Acrux AR delivers traction over terrain mostly characterized by extreme ruggedness and steepness. It is based on Vibram's Mont compound which grants the boot a kind of grip that can perform even in freezing temperatures. Its surface is loaded with anti-slip patterns and lugs of different shapes and sizes. The semi-blocky lugs of the outsole are positioned at opposing angles for ascent, descent, and medial traversal support. Also, preceding the arch zone is the sole’s heel brake which gives extra stopping power during descents.
Unyielding to the stress between the weight of the wearer and the craggy, mountainous terrain is the boot’s midsole. Made of ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA), this cushy platform is designed to give wearers stability and shock mitigation without compromising comfort. EVA also enables this midsole to withstand the biting cold.
The boot’s heel and toe counters (also known as welts) onto which the levers of automatic crampons latch are made of TPU or thermoplastic polyurethane. This material is known for its hardiness and level of resistance against abrasions, impacts, and weathering.
Contributing to the Arc’teryx Acrux AR’s cushioning and support is the carbon fiber insole. Its core is made of expanded polyurethane foam for thermal insulation.
The Acrux AR from Arc’teryx has a 4-millimeter, 3D-formed inner shell which is made of polyethylene (PE) foam—a material that provides not only ample cushioning, but also adequate internal insulation. It is perforated which means it has the ability to disperse heat and wick away sweat and moisture from the inside. Its closure system features synthetic laces and Velcro-like straps.
The removable liner is also made of PE foam. Also, the designers imbued it with Gore-Tex’s waterproof membrane with climate control capabilities. This proprietary waterproofing technology has its three layers bonded together for enhanced durability.
Walling off the elements is the built-in gaiter. Made of the same 3-layer Gore-Tex membrane found in the removable liner, this protective covering is waterproof and durable. A zipper implement and a rivet button make up its sealing mechanism. A heavy-duty film made of TPU is laminated onto the base of the gaiter for bump and abrasion protection. It has a thickness of 0.6 mm.
- Gently surface-clean the Arc'teryx Acrux AR with water either by hand or by using a soft bristled brush. Leave it to dry. Drying the footwear via any kind of heat source is discouraged.
- The “AR” in the boot’s name simply stands for All-Round.