Who should buy the Altra Tushar
The Altra Tushar makes an ideal gear for mountaineering. It is a solid option if you:
- Prefer a hiking shoe that gives enough space for the toes to spread, wiggle, and move naturally.
- Prefer a hiking shoe that ensures the foot retains its proper, low-impact form while walking or running.
- Prefer a hiking shoe that is suitable for both tame and technical terrain.
Size and fit
The Altra Tushar men’s and women's hiking boots have an over-the-ankle cut. It has padded collars and tongues that hold the foot securely in place. Moreover, the wide toe box promotes the natural movement of the foot, along with an essentially leveled footbed. This boot has a traditional lace-up closure for easy adjustment of the fit whenever needed.
Excellent traction on varying terrain
Named after Utah’s rugged Tushar Mountains, this hiker has the DURATREAD outsole which is designed to create nice traction on varying terrain. It’s made with a long-wearing rubber compound that is more flexible and sturdy than traditional rubber. Plus, it is highly resistant to oils, barnyard acids, and slippery liquids.
Reliable trail performance
Another factor for its reliable performance on the trail is the TrailClaw lug design which combines different tread patterns for a high-traction feel.
Claw-like lugs for downhill traction
For instance, at the midfoot area are protruding slanted lugs necessary for uphill climbs while on the toe area are larger, claw-like lugs for downhill traction.
Lightweight and flexible
All Altra shoes have EVA midsoles designed with Innerflex technology which involves grid cuts throughout, all the way to the flex grooves of the outsole. This structure results in reduced weight, increased flexibility, and improved cushioning.
Abrasion-resistant and durable
The shoe upper is made of ballistic nylon and rubberized overlays which have some admirable features, such as abrasion resistance, durability, and flexibility.
It is also lined with an eVent waterproof membrane that offers reliable protection against rain, snow, or water.
Nice to know
- Recommended for challenging hiking activities and mountaineering, this boot has plenty of heavy-duty features for protection. These include the thick toe guard and the Gaitertrap which allows strapless gaiter attachment.
- Since it’s has a zero-drop sole construction, you can expect a solid connection with the ground. Lastly, this boot isn’t insulated which means it can be used for all seasons, not just winter.