DiscontinuedUpdate: Altra Paradigm 4.5
Neutral / cushion / high arch
Shoes for runners who do not need any additional arch support (Around 50% of runners). Best for people with normal, high or medium high arches. See the best neutral shoes.
Stability / overpronation / normal arch
Shoes for runners who need mild to moderate arch support (Around 45% of runners). Best for runners with a low arch. See the best stability shoes.
Motion control / severe overpronation / flat feet
Shoes for runners who needs a lot of arch support. Best for runners with flat feet. See the best motion control shoes.
Good to know
Cushioned shoes for your daily easy running. Great comfort. See best shoes for daily running.
Lightweight shoes good for races, interval training, tempo runs and fartlek. Here are the best competition running shoes.
Good to know
If you want just one pair of shoes, buy a shoe for daily running.
WeightMen: 10.3ozWomen: 8.2oz
Heel to toe dropMen: 0mmWomen: 0mm
The height difference from the heel to the forefoot, also known as heel drop, toe spring, heel to toe spring or simply drop.
There are many opinions about what a good heel drop is. We do not recommend any in particular. Lean more in this video.
Heel heightMen: 32mmWomen: 32mm
Forefoot heightMen: 32mmWomen: 32mm
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal, Wide
Release dateJul 2017
Experts are runners, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
84 / 100 based on 3 expert reviews
Pretty much liked this shoe alot!
The shoe is light, soft, and stable.
The Paradigm gives the Hoka Clifton’s a good run for the money. Comfortable, responsive, lightweight, well cushioned, breathable, and flexible… what more could you want from a running shoe?
- The FootPod Outsole delivers maximum flexibility, an impressive energy return and a good amount of traction on roads.
- The A-Bound technology, along with the two-layered EVA midsole foam, gives an unparalleled experience of comfort and resilience against weight and landing impact. The comfortability is further enhanced with the help of ‘Strobel Last’ full-length fabric finish, which offers a soft underfoot experience.
- The shoe also boasts the Natural Ride System (NRS) design in its midsole with features such as a zero millimeter heel-to-toe drop and the metatarsal mapping. These clever technologies allow for a natural foot movement and a customized fit for the users.
- The Quick Dry Air Mesh ensures instant drying and cooling of the foot when subjected to hot or wet conditions.
- The Bunion Window with an open toe box construction prevents uncomfortable rubbing of feet against the shoe in the forefoot region.
- The Reflective Overlays on the Altra Paradigm 3’s upper increase the runner’s visibility in low light conditions.
The Altra Paradigm 3.0 is a pair of neutral running shoes which comes in the standard length and the standard medium width of D and B for men and women respectively.
The Altra Paradigm 3.0 uses the FootPod Outsole for higher flexibility and better responsiveness during longer runs and shorter sprints on asphaltic surfaces. The technology follows the natural shape of the foot, which enables the shoe to adapt itself to changing running positions while also delivering traction. This outsole configuration is also used in the Altra Paradigm 4 and other running shoes from Altra.
An interesting feature of the Paradigm 3.0 is that it uses an environmentally friendly, recycled compound, the A-Bound technology in its midsole which has proven to be very resilient against impact forces.
It further enhances the cushioning experience for its runners by using a very soft and highly durable double-layered EVA midsole material.
For better adaptability to the foot’s shape and its movement, the shoe houses the Natural Ride System (NRS) with a zero-millimeter heel-to-toe drop and a design that follow the natural motion of the foot. It allows unrestrained movements and enhanced flexibility during running sessions.
The highly breathable Air Mesh in the Altra Paradigm 3’s upper maintains a healthy circulation of air throughout the shoe. Its efficiently porous structure gives this mesh the capability to wick away moisture, thus keeping the runner’s feet comfortably dry and cool.
The asymmetrical lacing design offers a better fit and zero sliding of the foot inside the shoe.
The Bunion Window with an open toe box prevents chafing of the forefoot region against the shoe, thereby reducing the risk of injury.
The Paradigm 3 comes with 5 mm thick removable insoles for an enhanced arch support and a customized feel of comfort.
Another useful feature of this shoe is the Reflective Overlay Wraps, which allow for increased visibility even in the extremely low light conditions.
Finally, the ‘Strobel Last’, an additional full-length design established underfoot, offers a natural in-shoe experience that’s potentially comfortable and secure.