Basketball sneakers that rise well above the ankle to keep sprints and jumps stable and well-supported. You sure can fly high when you have high-top basketball shoes to tie.
Basketball sneakers that rise just up to where the ankles are. Providing support and flexibility so fine, mid-top basketball shoes surely hold the line.
Basketball shoes that leave the ankles exposed for a better range of motion. Be flexible with your blows, get basketball shoes that are low.
Good to know
Some basketball shoes embody the athleticism and symbolize the life of certain on-court legends. Hooping will surely be fine when you get kicks from their signature lines.
Hoop shoes that drop the traditional laces in favor of velcro straps for better efficiency. Secure strap basketball shoes, and have them in various hues.
Basketball shoes that stick with the good old laces for that familiar security and lockdown. Get lace-up basketball shoes to tie because they never go out of style.
Basketball shoes with uppers that provide a glove-like fit without the help of any lockdown mechanism. Do nothing but go in with slip-on basketball shoes .
Good to know
Some basketball shoes combine the powers of more than one lockdown styles for an improved fit and a much more stable ride. Get more bases covered with these basketball shoes.
Experts are basketball players, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
71 / 100 based on 6 expert reviews
It's not the best basketballing shoe... Just because of the cushion and how bad it is, I'm not gonna play in these anymore.
I think this could actually be one of the best releases of the entire year.
These were playable, which is the main thing.
Overall , it is the most classic style AJ series since it released , for me to collect the AJ series , AJ1 is indispensable, it symbolizes Nike and NBA alliance confrontation, this is popular one.
Profile of the Air Jordan 1 Retro High
The Air Jordan 1 Retro High brings a wave of nostalgia as it re-releases its classic form back into the market. This shoe might not be one with cutting-edge technology, however, it will never be forgotten that Michael Jordan, the GOAT himself, wore these to the court. And along with the significance that the shoe brings, it also boasts of effective traction, low-to-the-ground feel, and excellent ankle support.
Cushion. The Air Jordan 1 Retro High uses the Nike Air cushioning. This technology involves embedding a gas-filled polyurethane pouch into the midsole in order to give the shoe the ability to absorb impact. The air unit for this shoe, however, is applied only to the heel; and it’s considered minimal compared to newer models. This minimalism gives the shoe a lower-to-the-ground feel.
Traction. The shoe’s traction pattern features a mix of concentric circles and deep flex grooves. These designs are common to shoes released by Nike during the 1980’s such as the Air Force 1s and Nike Dunks. The circle patterns help the players easily pivot in every direction while the textured parts provide a steady grip on the court’s surface. Additionally, the rubber used for Air Jordan 1 Retro High’s outsole is soft and flexible, which enhances the shoe’s gripping power.
Length and Width. The Air Jordan 1 Retro High comes in men’s and women’s sizes. In regards to width, it runs a little wide. However, for length, it runs true to size; thus, new buyers are advised to go with their usual Nike basketball shoe sizes.
Lockdown. The shoe provides a thick padding on the ankle area while keeping the base of the heel hollow. When fully laced, the high cut hugs the ankle and cups the heel, giving the shoe a sculpted and secure feel.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High’s shoe material may change depending on the shoe’s colorway or release date. This has been attributed to the changes in production or manufacturing place. However, most of the colorways use split-grain leather with a polyurethane coating. This material is unlike the newer and more breathable ones used on basketball shoes today, thus, only the nylon tongue and perforations on the toebox provide any sort of ventilation to the shoe. However, recent releases of the shoe feature other materials used for the upper, such as textile.
The midsole is made out of solid rubber, embedded with Nike Air pouches in the heel area. The outsole is made of soft rubber, giving the shoe a low drop and the player a good court feel.
The Air Jordan 1 Retro High is a high-cut shoe that provides a secure hold on the ankle for players who do a lot of jumping. The shoe comes in more than 80 different colorways (including special releases). Even to this day, Air Jordan continually releases new colorways for this shoe.
The lateral sides of the shoe bear the Nike swoosh, along with the vintage Air Jordan logo. The tail of the Nike swoosh comes together in the rear of the shoe, giving a clean detail. Depending on the manufacturing date, the heel area of the shoe either bears the Nike Air logo, the Jumpman logo, or sometimes none at all.
The silhouette of the Air Jordan 1 Retro High is considered a classic since it complements the shape of the foot. The design however, is very similar to the Nike Dunk High shoes. It is suggested that one pair this shoe with tapered pants rather than loose or baggy ones. A simple top is also suggested so as not to take away too much attention from the silhouette of the shoe.
The Air Jordan shoe line started when Michael Jordan entered the NBA in the 1980s. During that time, he was looking for a shoe company that would sponsor him. Jordan first approached Adidas since he was a huge fan of the shoe company, however, they were not able to give him any offer due to some internal issues that the company was going through. Jordan was very disappointed and approached Converse instead. However, they too had nothing special to offer to him.
It was then that Nike made Jordan a special offer: they would give Jordan a signature line where he would be able to customize the shoe to his preferences. Along with that was a $500,000-a-year paycheck for five years. Nike, however, demanded in the contract that Jordan accomplish any of these three within a year: win Rookie of the Year, become an All-Star player, or average 20 points per game. Because of Jordan’s loyalty to Adidas, he went back to them and showed them what Nike was offering. He told them that if they could come anywhere close to Nike’s contract, he will sign up with them, to which he did not receive any response, thereby sealing the contract with Nike.
In the 1984-1985 season, just after signing his Nike contract, Michael Jordan was issued a memo by the NBA since his basketball sneakers, the Nike Air hip, violated the uniformity of uniforms policy for its black-and-red colorway. He was fined $5,000 every time he played wearing the shoes. Nike, however, used this to their advantage. Seeing that the banning of the shoes created so much hype, Nike made Jordan continue wearing the shoes while paying for the fine for each game.
Later on, the company released a commercial that said that the NBA may have banned Michael Jordan from wearing the Air Jordan 1, but they can't ban "you" (the viewers) from wearing it. The Nike Air Ship was actually Air Jordan 1's prototype. However, Nike redirected the public's attention by inadvertently claiming that the 1s where the banned shoes.
The shoes were made available to the public on 1985 and were retroed in 1994, 2001-2004 and 2007-2017. To this day, Nike continually releases different colorways of the Air Jordan 1.
Special Colorways of the Air Jordan 1 Retro High
Initially released in 1985, Michael Jordan’s celebrated first signature basketball shoe came in a wide range of hues. Since then, the silhouette has become a streetwear staple and has been continuously retroed.
Air Jordan 1 (I) OG colorways:
- Original AJKO White/Black–Red
- Original Black/Grey
- Original Black/Red
- Original Black/Royal Blue
- Original Black Toe White/Black/Red
- Original Grey/Black
- Original White/Black
- Original White/Black–Red
- Original White/Blue
- Original White/Carolina Blue
- Original White/Metallic Black
- Original White/Metallic Blue
- Original White/Metallic Dark Red
- Original White/Metallic Green
- Original White/Metallic Orange
- Original White/Metallic Purple
- Original White/Natural Grey
Air Jordan 1 (I) Retro High releases:
- 1994 Retro Black/Red
- 1994 Retro White/Black–Red
- 2001 Retro Black/Black-Metallic Silver
- 2001 Retro Black/Varsity Red
- 2001 Retro Black/Varsity Royal Blue–White
- 2001 Retro Neutral Grey/Metallic Silver
- 2001 Retro White/Metallic Silver-Midnight Navy
- 2001 Retro White/White-Midnight Navy
- 2011 Retro High Color Pack White/White-Varsity Red
- 2011 Retro High Color Pack White/White-Varsity Royal
- 2011 Retro High Color Pack White/White-Midnight Navy
- 2011 Retro High Color Pack White/White-Pine Green
- 2011 Retro High Color Pack White/White-Varsity Maize
- 2011 Retro High Color Pack White/White-University Blue
- 2012 Retro High KO RTTG Stealth/Sunburst-University Blue-White
- 2012 Retro High RTTG Black/Metallic Gold-Gym Red-White
- 2012 Retro High RTTG Obsidian/Metallic Gold-White
- Retro Black/Black-Anthracite
- Retro Black/Black-Metallic Gold ‘Gold Top 3’
- Retro Black/Cyber-Black-Blue Sapphire
- Retro Black/Gym Red-Gorge Green-White
- Retro Black/Max Orange-White
- Retro Black/Shadow Grey-White
- Retro Blue Sapphire/Neo Turquoise-White
- Retro Dark Obsidian/Dark Obsidian-White
- Retro Game Royal/Team Orange-Game Royal
- Retro High Anodized Altitude Green/Black
- Retro High Anodized Black/Anthracite
- Retro High Anodized Metallic Silver/White
- Retro High Anodized University Blue/Black-White
- Retro High Anodized Varsity Red/Black-White
- Retro High Black/Black-Anthracite-White ‘Black Patent’
- Retro High Black/Brown-Metallic Bronze
- Retro High Black/Cement Grey-White
- Retro High Black/Gold ‘BHM 2017’
- Retro High Black/Max Orange–White
- Retro High Black/Metallic Gold-Summit White ‘LA’
- Retro High Black/Metallic Red Bronze-Dark Grey-White ‘Bronze Medal’
- Retro High Black/White CDP
- Retro High Black/White 'BHM'
- Retro High Black/Varsity Red DMP
- Retro High Black/Varsity Red-White ‘Banned’
- Retro High Black/Varsity Red-White (Rare Air Edition)
- Retro High Black/Varsity Maize-White BMP
- Retro High Black/Volt-Photo Blue-White
- Retro High Bright Concord/Blue Lagoon-White ‘Feng Shui’
- Retro High Deep Royal/Black-White ‘Deep Royal’
- Retro High Deep Royal Blue/Metallic Gold Coin-White ‘Gold Medal’
- Retro High Grove Green/Black-White ‘Grove Green’
- Retro High Gym Red/Metallic Silver-White ‘Silver Medal’
- Retro High Gym Red-White-Team Red-White 'Red Elephant'
- Retro High Nouveau Black/White-Black-Voltage Green ‘BHM’
- Retro High Nouveau White/Blue-Yellow-Gum
- Retro High OG Black/Black-Gum
- Retro High OG Black/Black-Metallic Silver-White ‘All Star 2017’ a.k.a. ‘Gotta Shine’
- Retro High OG Black/Black-White-Metallic Gold ‘Gold Toe’
- Retro High OG Black/Dark Grey-White
- Retro High OG Black/Game Royal-Black
- Retro High OG Black/Gym Red-University Gold
- Retro High OG Black/Gym Red-Wolf Grey 'NYC'
- Retro High OG Black/Italy Blue-University Red ‘Quai 54’
- Retro High OG Black/Metallic Gold-White
- Retro High OG Black/Soft Grey-White
- Retro High OG Black/Starfish-Sail
- Retro High OG Black/Varsity Royal White (2017)
- Retro High OG Black/White-Black
- Retro High OG Black/White-Black (Perforated)
- Retro High OG Black/White-Black ‘Yin Yang’ (Black)
- Retro High OG Black/White-Medium Grey ‘Shadow 2018’
- Retro High OG Clover/Metallic Gold-White-Black
- Retro High OG Fragment Black/Sport Royal-White
- Retro High OG Game Royal/Black-Summit White
- Retro High OG Golden Harvest/Golden Harvest-Gum Yellow ‘Wheat’
- Retro High OG Guava Ice/Sail
- Retro High OG Gym Red/Black-Summit White ‘Bred Toe’
- Retro High OG Gym Red/Sail
- Retro High OG Hyper Royal/Sail ‘He Got Game’
- Retro High OG Obsidian/White-Dark Powder Blue-Game Royal
- Retro High OG Obsidian/White-Summit White DSM
- Retro High OG Olive Canvas/Sail
- Retro High OG Summer White/Black/Yellow Ochre
- Retro High OG Summit White/Black-Blue Moon
- Retro High OG Summit White/Black-Clay Green
- Retro High OG ‘Track Red’
- Retro High OG Varsity Maize/Game Royal-White ‘Laney’
- Retro High OG Vintage Coral/Sail
- Retro High OG White/Black-Varsity Red
- Retro High OG White/Black-White (Perforated)
- Retro High OG White/Black-White ‘Yin Yang’ (White)
- Retro High OG White/Black-Wolf Grey
- Retro High OG White/Carmine-Black
- Retro High OG White/Dark Powder Blue
- Retro High OG White/Midnight Navy ‘Metallic Navy’
- Retro High OG White/Reflective Silver
- Retro High OG White/Storm Blue
- Retro High OG White/Varsity Red
- Retro High OG White/Varsity Red-Black
- Retro High Premier Black/Varsity Red-White
- Retro High Premier Black/Varsity Red-White ‘Laser Edition’
- Retro High Premier Dark Obsidian/Cerulean-White EPM
- Retro High Premier Pewter/Black-Max Orange
- Retro High Premier Urban Haze/Dark Army-Bright Cactus EPM
- Retro High Premier Varsity Red/Dark Army-White
- Retro High University Red/University Red-White
- Retro High White/Black-Clover DMP
- Retro High White/Black-Varsity Red BMP
- Retro High Wolf Grey/Black-White
- Retro Japan Black/Black–Metallic Silver
- Retro Japan Neutral Grey/Metallic Silver
- Retro Japan White/Metallic Silver–Midnight Navy
- Retro Japan White/White–Midnight Navy
- Retro KO High Black/Shadow Grey-White
- Retro KO High Black/Varsity Red-White
- Retro KO High OG Black/Sport Blue-Black
- Retro KO High OG White/Black-Gym Red
- Retro KO High OG White/University Blue
- Retro KO High OG Wolf Grey/Midnight Navy-White
- Retro KO High Premier Black/Anthracite-Varsity Red
- Retro KO High Premier Dark Cinder/Black-Varsity Red
- Retro KO High Premier Light Graphite/Black-Varsity Red
- Retro KO High Vintage White/Black-Varsity Red
- Retro KO High Vintage White/Varsity Red
- Retro KO High White/Black-Varsity Red
- Retro Metallic Zinc/Metallic Zinc-Shadow Grey
- Retro Midnight Navy/Metallic Gold-Sail
- Retro Neutral Grey/Silver–White
- Retro Obsidian/Gym Red-Sail
- Retro Patent Leather Black/Metallic Gold
- Retro Patent Leather White/Black–Varsity Red
- Retro Patent Leather White/Carolina Blue
- Retro Sport Red/White-Varsity Red
- Retro Stealth/Team Red-Light Graphite-Charcoal
- Retro Stealth/Varsity Royal–Sport Red
- Retro White/Blue/Canvas
- Retro White/Grand Purple
- Retro White/Metallic Silver
- Retro White/Metallic Silver–Midnight Navy
- Retro White/Midnight Navy-Metallic Gold Star
- Retro White/Sea Green
- Retro White/Varsity Red
- Retro White/Varsity Red-Black
- Retro Wolf Grey/Spice-White
Air Jordan 1 ‘Aleali May’
Fashion consultant Aleali May provides a fresh take on her favorite Air Jordan silhouette. The Air Jordan 1 ‘Aleali May’ features a black corduroy upper with a satin finish and a chenille Swoosh.
Air Jordan 1 Armed Forces Pack
This two-shoe collection honors the heroism and service of Michael Jordan’s brother Ronnie Jordan and all other uniformed personnel of the U.S. Armed Forces. Both pairs feature an embroidered badge on the heel that signifies Ronnie’s rank of Command Sergeant Major.
Air Jordan 1 Father’s Day Pack
The special edition Father’s Day Pack pays tribute to Michael’s father James Jordan Sr. who was murdered in 1993. This two-shoe collection features tweed inserts and a transparent Swoosh. Completing the silhouette is an illustration of a house that is stitched on the heel.
Air Jordan 1 Hare Jordan Easter Collection
Launched in 2015, the Hare Jordan ‘Easter’ Collection commemorates the 23-year friendship of Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny. The collection includes two pairs of AJ 1s called ‘Hare’ and ‘Lola Bunny.’
The ‘Hare’ colorway features a silver upper with a multicolored tongue while the ‘Lola Bunny’ colorway boasts a shimmer and wheat upper with pink accents.
Air Jordan 1 High Strap ‘A Tribe Called Quest’
This Air Jordan 1 Retro High is inspired by the cover art of A Tribe Called Quest’s third studio album Midnight Marauders. The Air Jordan 1 ‘A Tribe Called Quest’ features a black-based upper with red and green accents throughout.
Air Jordan 1 Opening Day Pack
In 1993, Michael Jordan retired from the NBA and decided to pursue his baseball dream. He played for the Chicago White Sox’s minor league affiliate the Birmingham Barons and then returned to Bulls in 1995.
The Air Jordan 1 Opening Day Pack commemorates his days playing for the Barons. This two-shoe pack matches the ‘Home’ and ‘Away’ jerseys of the Barons.
Air Jordan 1 Rebel XX ‘Top 3’
This women’s exclusive Air Jordan 1 combines the ‘Chicago,’ ‘Bred,’ and ‘Royal’ colorways.
Air Jordan 1 Retro ‘Alpha’
The Air Jordan 1 Retro ‘Alpha’ takes us back to the beginning of the Air Jordan line. These basketball shoes feature an illustration of a young Michael shooting a jump shot while in his North Carolina uniform.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High Doernbecher ‘Mr. Boober’
In 2007, Tony Taylor Jr. aka Mr. Boober battled through and eventually had a successful kidney transplant at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. The following year, he was selected to design his own Air Jordan 1 Retro as part of the Swoosh’s fifth annual Doernbecher freestyle project.
Guided by Jayson Maden and Estelle Maranan, Tony took inspiration from his triumph over the disease. The Air Jordan 1 Retro High DB features a gradient patent leather upper with a unique graphic.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High Engineered Perf
Made for premium fashion, this lifestyle-inspired Air Jordan 1 features an engineered perf upper done in black or white with vachetta tan.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High ‘Equality’
Nike launched a unique Air Jordan 1 Retro colorway as part of their Equality campaign. The Air Jordan 1 Retro High Equality features a combination of white and black with a shiny dubrae. Carmelo Anthony’s logo is seen on the tongue while “Equality” is written on the heels.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High ‘Hall of Fame’
Launched in 2009, the Air Jordan 1 Retro High ‘Hall of Fame’ celebrates Michael Jordan’s enshrinement in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. These black basketball shoes feature Michael’s stats from his storied career.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High J2K
This unique multicolored pair of Michael Jordan basketball shoes features a pyramid-stitched upper made of scraps from other Air Jordan 1 Retros.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG ‘Homage to Home’
Split down the middle, the Air Jordan 1 ‘Homage to Home’ combines the two most iconic hues of Michael Jordan’s first signature basketball shoe. This OG retro features split panels that showcase the ‘Chicago’ and ‘Banned’ colorways.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG 'Letterman'
The Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG ‘Letterman’ is inspired by the bright red-and-blue tracksuit Michael Jordan wore during his infamous interview with David Letterman. The ‘Letterman’ is dressed in a combination of red and metallic navy.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG ‘Re2pect’
This colorway of the Air Jordan 1 is inspired by Derek Jeter’s “Re2pect” campaign. The Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG ‘Re2pect’ features a black and white upper with lettering on the quarter panel.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG XQ 'Ignite Shanghai'
Originally launched in 2007, the AJ 1 Retro High OG XQ makes a return as part of Nike’s Ignite Shanghai collection. XQ, an abbreviation for “Xi Qing” (“happiness and celebration” in English) explains the color choices of these Air Jordan basketball sneakers.
The Air Jordan 1 XQ ‘Ignite Shanghai’ feature an eye-catching mix of black, white, and red leather with gold stitching. Debossed stars and a patterned side panel complete the silhouette.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High ‘Pass the Torch’
The Air Jordan 1 ‘Pass the Torch’ pays tribute to Kawhi Leonard’s MVP-capturing performance in the 2014 NBA Finals. These basketball shoes are dressed in chrome and white leather with black detailing. References to Kawhi and the San Antonio Spurs are seen throughout the silhouette.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High Pinnacle
From synthetic reptilian skin to 24k gold, Jordan Brand’s high-end sneaker series called the Pinnacle features the most luxurious materials ever used on a performance basketball shoe.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High SW 23
In collaboration with NikeCourt, Jordan Band celebrates Serena Williams’s 23rd Grand Slam victory with the release of a special Air Jordan 1 colorway. The AJ 1 Retro High SW 23 is dressed in hyper pink, black, and white with Serena’s logo on the heel and tongue.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High ‘Top Three’
Similar to Nike’s ‘What The’ edition, the Air Jordan 1 ‘Top Three’ is a mashup of the top three original hues of the AJ 1. The ‘Top Three’ combines the ‘Chicago,’ ‘Royal,’ and ‘Banned’ colorways into one unique silhouette.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High ‘YOTS’
Jordan Brand greets the Year of the Snake with the release of the Air Jordan 1 Retro ‘YOTS.’ These retro basketball shoes feature a mix of blackened blue, bright citrus, and hyper red. Chinese-inspired letterings on the tongue tab complete the theme.
Air Jordan 1 Retro High Zip
Instead of the usual laces, the Air Jordan 1 Retro High Zip features a zipper enclosure down the shoe’s middle. This reimagined sneaker is available in white/university red and black/university red.
Air Jordan 1 Retro ‘Wings’
Jordan Brand’s “Wings” program seeks to instill confidence in the youth through education and mentorship. As part of this program, a limited edition Air Jordan 1 made of distressed leather was crafted. Featuring a mix of black and metallic gold color, the Air Jordan 1 ‘Wings’ shares a similar color scheme with the Air Jordan 12 ‘Wings.’ Only 19,400 pairs of this expensive basketball shoe were made available via Nike SNKRS.
Air Jordan 1 Satin WMNS ‘Shattered Backboard’
This women’s exclusive colorway features a satin mid panel that is dressed in the same sail-colored tumbled leather seen in the OG.
Dave White X Air Jordan 1
British artist Dave White crafted a head-turning, American-flag inspired Air Jordan 1 that caused a ruckus during the 2012 All-Star festivities. The Dave White X Air Jordan 1 features a combination of black, sport red, white, and cement grey. The iconic elephant print is also seen on the forefoot lace strap. “The absolute intent was to make something that actually looked animated and dynamic, explosive and alive even when standing still. I wanted the shoe to almost look like it had been dipped in paint and is exploding with energy,” White explained.
Gatorade X Air Jordan 1
Gatorade and Jordan Brand team up to create four monochromatic hues of the Air Jordan 1. Inspired by the Gatorade’s most popular flavors, the Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG ‘Gatorade’ comes in orange peel, violet rush, blue lagoon, and cyber.
Nigel Sylvester X Air Jordan 1
BMX sensation Nigel Sylvester and Jordan Brand has teamed up to create a special pair of AJ 1s. The Nigel Sylvester X Air Jordan 1 features a worn look on its sail upper with red, black, and reflective silver accents.
Off-White X Air Jordan 1
A collaboration between Italian fashion label and Air Jordan, the Off-White X Air Jordan 1 features a combination of premium leather and mesh. A deconstructed Swoosh and the “Air” branding on the midsole complete the silhouette.
Vogue X Air Jordan 1 High Zip AWOK
Jordan Brand and Vogue team up to create a women’s exclusive Air Jordan 1 High Zip. These basketball sneakers are made with premium leather and feature metallic zippers that are attached with a special edition “Edited by Vogue” hangtag.