Football boots with sock-like extension above the ankle level for added protection and support. the best high top fooball boots.
Football boots that offer coverage until the ankle level for extra stability. See the best mid top football boots.
Traditional football boots without collars or extensions for maximum mobility. See the best low top football boots.
Good to know
Choosing the best collar height is a matter of personal preference and is not dependent on the type of surface played. More info here
Football boots that provide rotational and aggressive traction on firm or dry natural grass. See the best FG boots.
Football boots with flat, anti-slip rubber outsole great for indoor courts. See the best IC boots.
Football boots with durable rubber outsole designed for excellent grip on short-piled synthetic grass. See the best Turf boots.
Low-profile, hollow-studded football boots intended for long-piled synthetic grass. See the best AG boots.
Football boots built for street, dirt, concrete and polished pitches and also doubles as a casual wear. See the best Street football boots.
Football boots that are built for more than one type of surface. See the best Flexible Ground Football boots.
Good to know
Football boots are often categorized by brands into different collections based on their distinct purpose such as boots for Speed, Power or Control.
Experts are football players, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
94 / 100 based on 12 expert reviews
The X 17+ Purespeed is a continuation of the X 16+ Pure Chaos. The shoe follows all your movements and locks your foot in no matter what shape it has because the strap is free to move. The material on the toe box area is thinner and less airy compared to the X 16+. Out of the box, the shoe is very soft and it will break in almost immediately.
The X 17+ Purespeed has a similar design with the X 16+ Pure Chaos, but with a slightly different texture. It’s a comfortable shoe out of the box. The heel lockdown is excellent.
The X 17+ Purespeed as a whole is a great top-end performer. On feet, it is very comfortable out of the box. The upper feels soft against your foot. The lacing system holds everything in place quite nicely. The heel liner does a really good job at gripping your heel, preventing any kind of slippage. The break in process is just a matter of getting used to the way the shoes feel.
The X 17+ Purespeed is an excellent shoe as far as performance is concerned. You get a barefoot feel when you touch the ball, although it has more bulk to it than Nike’s Mercurial line. The outsole has a Sprintframe construction featuring external heel counter that is one piece directly attached to the sole plate. This creates a very lightweight feel for the shoe. As far as the stud pattern is concerned, it is exclusive to the X line. The midfoot area is the tightest aspect of this shoe.
- The Adidas X 17+ Purespeed Firm Ground features a newly redesigned Techfit upper that hugs the foot comfortably. It provides the foot a more customized fit. This material offers improved lockdown and a truer touch on the ball for maximum performance on the pitch.
- The football boot also features the Non-Stop-Grip (NSG) technology on its upper. It provides control in all weather conditions. It works in combination with the Purecut sock system that conceals the laces for that non-bulky feel over the area that touches the ball. The result is a superior feel and control of the ball that will help execute that powerful strike. Additionally, the laceless design of this football boot is also adapted by its successor, the X 18+ Firm Ground, though they differ much in overall design.
- Another added feature of the X 17+ Purespeed Firm Ground is the X heel lining that grips the foot for that secure lock-in during changes in direction. Moreover, superb traction on firm ground is provided by the lightweight Sprintframe outsole, allowing players to move with speed.
The Adidas X 17+ Purespeed FG sizes are in the standard length for both men and women. This football boot fits true to size. Since it utilizes a knit mesh and TechFit technology on its upper, the X 17+ Purespeed delivers a soft and comfortable foot wrap.
The X 17+ Purespeed sports a Sprintframe outsole that is both light and flexible. This sole unit provides exquisite traction on the firm ground as well as on artificial turf. With a molded stud pattern that performs with a really good grip, this football boot delivers stable speed and a balanced footwork.
This version also features the "S" curve heel that was first seen in the extremely popular Ultra Boost. The curve works to relieve pressure on the Achilles tendon for added comfort in the heel area.
Lining the upper of the Adidas X 17+ Purespeed is a soft knitted material that hugs the foot comfortably. The upper also utilizes a Techfit compression technology that molds to the foot for an excellent ball feel and a comfortable glove-like fit.
The football boot adapts the Purecut sock system that is designed to cover the laces and give a clean, laceless look. More than just a visual feature, the lack of laces on the upper provides a bigger strike zone that can facilitate better, more powerful shots. The NSG micro texture on the upper is an added feature that guarantees superb ball control in any weather condition.
- The X 17+ Purespeed FG is used by the likes of Luis Suarez, Gareth Bale, and Thomas Muller.
- The boot weighs 6.8 ounces (193 grams).
- It also comes in a soft ground version, the Adidas X 17+ Purespeed Soft Ground.