Extremely popular sneakers because of their price range, versatility when it comes to style, and freedom of movement. Almost everyone is guaranteed to have low-top sneakers in their shoe rotation.
Mid-top sneakers extend toward the ankle for a little more support and hold. These lie somewhere in the middle between low-top and high-top sneakers in terms of usage and popularity.
Sneakers with collars that go above the ankles for optimal hold and support are some of the most sought-after models in lifestyle shoes. Most of these shoes take their roots from basketball and have easily or fashionably crossed to mainstream wear.
Good to know
Regardless of cut, it's always good to start with sneakers that can be worn for the daily grind, also called as "beaters" by some, as these are usually cheaper, easy to clean, and still gives that lifestyle "edge" before going for those wallet-thinning models.
Sneakers dominantly take their heritage from running, basketball, skate, tennis, training, hiking, and football. Still retaining a few of their performance-based technologies, these sneakers have transcended their respective niches and have successfully and popularly transformed themselves as staples of fashion footwear.
Sneakers designed for a laidback, "cool" vibe that is built for lifestyle wear right from the get-go.
Good to know
Brands are now blending elements of performance and casual appeal in basically every sneaker. One can hardly go wrong with a sports-inspired sneaker or a simple casual shoe.
Good to know
Shoes sharing the same inspiration, history, materials, or technologies are routinely assembled under one compilation for the convenience of those who may wish to categorize or label their own collection as such. The classic collections like the Adidas Originals, Air Max 1, Air Force 1, new balance classic sneakers, and the Classic Leather head the pack of frequently asked about collections.
Experts are sneaker fanatics, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
Fit & Sizing
Built with a one-piece, stretchy and airy Primeknit upper, expect the low-top Adidas NMD_R1 STLT PK with its ribbed detailing to mold comfortably to the feet like a sock while offering enhanced support. Its wide footbed also ensures ample wiggle room for the feet, sizing down is an option for those who wish a snugger fit. This shoe is available in men’s 4-14 sizes and women’s 5-11 sizes in Medium width.
The NMD R1 STLT Primeknit sneaker by Adidas has a sock-like construction that delivers a comfortable fit as it molds to users’ foot. It also features the molded EVA midsole plug on the medial side to add to the NMD aesthetic. To help foot to slip onto the shoe quickly, a pull strap is installed at the heel counter. It has a sturdy rubber outsole that delivers superior grip and support.
Adidas NMD_R1 STLT Primeknit Style
The NMD_R1 STLT PK, similar to its forerunners, is constructed with everyday living in mind. Thus, the brand made sure that its running-inspired silhouette remains versatile and easy to carry with its lightweight construction and minimally-styled silhouette. Perfect for those on the move 24/7, the shoe looks great with just about anything including joggers, jeans, leggings, dresses, and shorts.
Styling the Adidas Originals NMD R1 STLT Primeknit sneakers is easy. Here are a few tips to get you started.
- Ladies with long legs look perfect with this shoe if they pair it with their shorts and a plain shirt for a minimalist look that is also perfect on a warm day.
- It is also nice to pair the women's Adidas NMD R1 STLT Primeknit casual shoes with cuffed skinny jeans and nice tops for a comfortable outfit with a straightforward look.
- Try the black Adidas Originals NMD R1 STLT Primeknit sneaker with your mini-dresses. They can also wear a pair of large sunnies and a statement bag to complement the casual and cool look which works for any occasion.
- For an ultimate and casual chic look, this sneaker can be paired with a vintage tee and a denim skirt.
- Like Gigi Hadid, girls can match their Adidas NMD R1 STLT PK shoes with their co-ord tracksuit for a comfortable and cool style.
- This can also be rocked with a double denim outfit like a pair of distressed denim jeans and a denim jacket.
- An elegant look can be easily achieved by wearing a pair of Adidas NMD R1 STLT Primeknit sneakers with a black dress and jacket.
- For a straightforward look with a sporty vibe, wear black joggers and a plain shirt with these low-top Adidas NMD shoes.
- Come up with a smart and casual get-up fast by pairing your Adidas Originals NMD R1 STLT Primeknit sneakers with cuffed black jeans, a white shirt and a grey blazer.
- For another casual and cool look which is perfect for men who are travelers or students, a red pair of Adidas NMD R1 STLT Primeknit casual shoes can be matched with beige jeans and a tartan button-up shirt.
- A pair of distressed denim jeans, blazer, cardigan and grey top can be matched with the NMD R1 STLT Primeknit by Adidas for a great city casual look.
- For a funky look on a summer day, this sneaker can be worn with cuffed denim shorts, a white sleeveless undershirt, and a denim jacket.
- Another fashionably cozy style for men can be achieved by matching a pair of the Adidas Originals NMD R1 STLT Primeknit sneakers with a winter wax coat and skinny jeans.
- Black and relaxed-fit trousers that are cropped above the ankle also look good with the low-top NMD R1 STLT Primeknit by Adidas.
Some basic rules in styling sporty sneakers like the Adidas NMD R1 STLT Primeknit shoes:
- Avoid all-white pairs.
- Never tuck shirts into denim.
- Steer clear of loose-fitting denim jeans.
- Try to achieve a casual and sporty look with a t-shirt only.
Like the NMD_R1, this sneaker features the same sole unit with the two EVA plugs on the lateral side and one big one on the medial side for extra stability. It also maintains the heel mustache for support and the signature heel strap for easier slip on/off.
This rendition, however, unlike any other NMD model, features a translucent outsole. It's rib-like detailing, its 3-Stripes-free silhouette and uncaged upper with floating laces also set this shoe apart from its siblings.
Adidas NMD_R1 STLT Primeknit History
Back in December 2015, Adidas launched a casual sneaker that was primarily made to match people’s fast-paced lifestyle. Appropriately dubbed as the NMD, short for “Nomad,” it combined the brand’s most talked-about technologies, the Boost and the Primeknit. These two techs fusion made the shoe ultralight, breathable and comfortable.
The NMD was a product of the divergent thinking of the VP of Global Design Nic Galway, the genius behind equally iconic lines the Tubular and the Yeezys. Its first model was the NMD_R1. Interestingly, its modern look was inspired by three retro models, the Rising Star, the Boston Super, and the Micro Pacer. All of which are considered outdated. Their silhouette, though, were perceived as ahead of its time during its initial release.
Minimally-styled, unique and tech-filled, sneaker addicts greeted the NMD_R1’s entrance with zest. Instantly, the shoe sold out, and it became one of the brand’s most coveted models. To keep the fans excited, Adidas released other variations including the NMD_R2 and the NMD City Sock. However, a few years after, the hype died down.
Despite its decline in popularity, it has not lost its charm. The introduction of the low-top Adidas NMD_R1 STLT Primeknit proves this. Making a preview in June 2017 and released in the market in December of the same year, this model, which shows off a revamped PK upper and floating laces, has been seen in a variety of hues in a span of a few months.
- The holes on the outsole let the Boost move freely to supply the best energy return.
- A felt-like material with windows that reveal the Boost is placed on the footbed for its insole.
- The lace-up closure allows the wearer to adjust the fit to their liking.
- The low-top Adidas NMD_R1 STLT Primeknit is available a variety of colorways including Core Black/Red/Blue, Ash Pink/Orange, Indigo/White, Linen/White/White, Raw Steel/Ash Pearl/White, Black/Ash Pin/Nobile Indigo, Grey/Grey/Core Black, Core Black/Grey/Solar Pink, Collegiate Red/Cloud White/Bold Green and Running White/ Running White/Clear Orange.
- This silhouette is also used in collaborative work, “Parley x Adidas NMD R1 STLT,” which was released on November 7, 2018, in a Core Black/Blue Spirit/EQT Green colorway.