Nike Air Max 2016
- 149th best overall Top list
- 105th best road Top list
- 21st best Nike Top list
- 114th best neutral Top list
- 88th best daily runningTop 20% Top list
- 90Fix My Walk • Level 3 expert • Full review by Amy W. BogardThe shoes manage to satisfy in all of the most important categories, including comfort, support, and appearances.
- 80Sneaker News • Level 2 expert • Full review by Patrick JohnsonNikeis changing things up a little for the latestNike Air Max 2016release though, as they’ve covered up the “Air” with a sleek metallic silver midsole.
- 72Soleracks • Level 2 expert • Full review by SoleracksAs with many of the previous styles , the Nike Air Max 2016 is not much of a running shoe but more of a casual sneaker, recommended by its cool looks, cushioning and overall comfort it offers.
Table of contents
Nike introduces only a few changes in the 2016 model of the Air Max. Avid fans of this line will notice the slight change in the location and setup of the Flywire technology. The Flywire cables are arranged neatly and more streamlined. They are bunched together in 6 groups instead of the 5 that were previously used. The groupings are evenly spaced going towards the halfway point between the midfoot and the forefoot for a more customizable and comfortable fit.
The prominent forefoot overlay is removed in this version for more room and breathability in the forefoot.
Size and fit
The ultra-sized cushioning is the perfect complement to a spacious fit that does not feel sloppy by any means. With just the right kind of snugness in the heel and midfoot, runners will feel secure and stable during running. The adequate toe room accommodates a wide variety of runners. Nike relives the fit of the prior version in the Air Max 2016. The standard widths of D for the men’s and B for the women’s are available. Sizing is on the spot with options between 6 to 15 for the men’s and 5 to 12 for the women’s.
The Waffle Pattern Outsole remains to be the outsole configuration in this line as it helps with traction and even distribution of weight with each stride. Nike uses the tough BRS 1000 carbon rubber in the outsole for exceptional durability. There are also gender-specific flex grooves for better flexibility.
The iconic Air Max Unit is still located in the heel and forefoot for superb shock-absorbing and cushioning features. Spanning the entire length of the shoe is the lightweight and durable Cushlon foam. It has decent responsiveness and adds to the plush feel of the shoe.
An engineered mesh provides breathable coverage and a more adjustable fit that works very well with the Dynamic Flywire cables. Nike adds another group in the Flywire construction to enable runners their most comfortable and personalized fit. These cables are directly attached to the sole and the laces, which is why they hold the foot extremely well. Nike’s use of the Notched Inner Sleeve makes sockless wearing a great option for runners.